A tale of two Tiffies

DWW

Excellent finishes on your birds.  What's your technique?

Cheers

Collin

Hi Colin:

Thanks for that - are you referring to cockpits, metal work or exterior camo - or all three?

Cheers

Steve

PS - Thanks Jack ;-)

Edited by DWW

God I wish some mainstream mfg would do Typhoons in 1/32.  I'd be up for at least one of each version, bubbletop an cardoor.  These two are phenominal and just too damned big for the rest of my finished kits.

Hi J: The 1/32 plea has gone out lots of times as I've witnessed. Airfix obviously don't do 1/32 and in an ideal world I'd like to see Tamiya do both versions to the standard of their current kits. I'd raid the penny jar for those and no mistake!

wow, absolutely amazing!!!!!

Thanks Shan.  :)

great builds steve...

I stood next to you waiting to get in at Telford with you hiding your second Tiffie under a golf umbrella from the drizzle :thumbsup:

Hey Rich: I remember...then a kind soul held the brolly while I rang Chris to discover he'd wangled me a trader's wrist band to get in! Did you enjoy the show? Buy any goodies? There, that's two superfluous questions! Master of the absolutely flippin' obvious me... :D     

The parts breakdown of the slider was clearly designed to yield the car door version, so when the boss said would I fancy the test shot there simply weren't enough wild horses in the world to keep me from it and when I was asked about a preferred scheme my love of desert based aircraft meant a 451 Squadron RAAF desert filter trials bird was a certainty.

This is DN323 at Boscombe Down, photographed by Hawker, before crating up for North Africa in early 1943.

DN323%20Hawker_zpsrzkulv87.jpg

My use of Interior Grey Green is spurious anarchy on my part - Hawker's silver lacquer is a much more accurate choice.

20_zps4qwtv0xb.jpg

The slider build obliged 'kit plastic only'. The car door allowed aftermarket in to the equation. Here the full Airscale suite and Eduard brass were shoe horned in with much enjoyment.

27_zpsknfn3jl2.jpg

28_zpstsdmwlr9.jpg

Radu etch and Barracuda resin carb intake dressed the rad. Black was laid in behind the etch for depth.

35_zpszwxygblq.jpg

All nailed together.

36_zpsf5it6dja.jpg

The replacement turtle deck is a perfect fit. The Airfix instructions omit mention of the anti-collision beacon (the flashed over hole beneath needs drilling out if your markings choice carried one).

44_zpsgcwytm5n.jpg

45_zpsmxvp3ipz.jpg

Closing up the front end is an exercise in industrial grade abrasives, re-scribing and beading tools to restore fastener details. Note the as yet untreated seams inside the chin.

47_zpse7ihrbnf.jpg

The chance for exposed canon couldn't be resisted. In theatre, DN323 moved to full shrouds in short order. I left mine exposed to show off the Mk.1 details turned brass replacements. As the gun bays were closed up all you need are chopped lengths that drop fit into the short shrouds with CA. The downside is the ridiculous nubs that join the barrels to cut sections - ridiculous and I jury rigged an alignment rail.

43_zps2i6ygpkp.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to take the car door aspect and show the s/bd window wound down some 2/3rds. There are no winder handles on the kit sprues, so it was out with strip and punched discs. 

60_zpsvgzewzee.jpg

Another ten week build schedule and the kit was complete on the bench.

IMG_1972_zpsmf6jllux.jpg

I took the model to Telford for inclusion on the Airfix stand and it's now over at Margate as a contrast to the European scheme of the slider.

Happy days.

1-24%20Typhoon_zpstcnxdezy.jpg

TTFN

Steve :-)             

Had a good look at your build at Telford and can I say........superb, flawless finish!!

Regards. Andy

Pure modeling sweetness!  You are very gifted.

Cheers,

Chuck

Cheers Chuck - that's way kind of you. The small boy in me still can't believe his good fortune with the two Tiffies.  :)  

That's a spectacular pair of builds, Steve! Great photography, too.

Kev

Thanks Kev...much appreciated mate.  :D   

Steve,

Absolutely wonderful to look at! I love what you've done. I could look at those builds all day.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks Tom - I'm totally made up.  :thumbsup:

TTFN

Steve

I dream about building kits to that standard, it's that elusive realism that makes them stand out, looking at them I know that they are made of aluminium and various other metals, whereas mine are made of painted plastic, great work.

Cheers

Dennis