My modeling while insane "In progress" report. :)

mpk

Dale, note on the George that the engine is not very visible once in the cowl with the spinner on.

Take a look before you spend too much time adding bits.

Most of what I added to mine is not visible now :(

24527863569_b3f6833c85_b.jpg

Thinking about it, what you added is visible. I am looking at it.

Looking carefully at your beautiful work has both helped and inspired me. I am sure others who have seen it feel the same. That is one benefit of a site such as this.

Were I you, I'd have a nice little display made with photos such as that here, around my kit. I think your model is worthy of a nice base that includes hidden details.

To inspire somebody in a positive way is no small thing.

I am grateful for your efforts and for sharing them with me and others reading this thread.

On another note. I have returned from the Dr visit which included a trip to the art supply store. I got a lovely flat brush with delicate bristles and 2 artists oil paints. I can now mix any shade of grey I desire using these. For more complex greys I will add more oils as my budget allows.

20161208_110120-1_zpsy1s9ffar.jpg

First thing to do now however is a clean up of last night's wash before going to hospital later today. I will save the dry brushing until daylight tomorrow.

I know a lot of people don't give a schmitt about 109's, but I do. Therefore I am going to continue to keep an eye on you and I expect good results from all of these, even if they are just practice. :)

Jay

Cheers.

I actually just explained my idea with the 109's to my WWII veteran father. He fought in the Pacific against the Japanese. I told him that because I was working on variations of the same type, the consistency will help with my technique.

I know as both musician and martial artist that focus on a basic technique will help more advanced techniques in future. I don't know if I have mentioned this, but in martial arts there is a saying:

"In the beginning the basics are nothing, but in the end, the basics are everything."

I have found this to be true. Without a solid foundation, one is susceptible to all manner of problems. An example would be a boxer lacking a solid right cross or upper cut.

If I am going to devote my time to modeling, I want to be good. Very good. Otherwise what's the point in bothering? This idea is in accordance with how I work. Whenever a very advanced musician comes to me for a lesson about a problem felt, I have found these problems are usually to do with a basic technique in need of attention.

I think with careful attention to detail, while gaining experience modeling with numb hands, it should take about a year to get me to a more acceptable personal level.

I have gained so much from the members here. I'd like to be good enough to share worthwhile work with both members and passers by. Having supplemented my playing income with working as a journalist for a drum magazine, in future I will be able to contribute that experience to articles that may help another.

I have found a few Hasegawa 109 E's on the web for less than fifty bucks. A full re-scribe would be very good practice. I could do such practice on plastic card. In fact I will do so. However there is nothing like the real thing.

Does anyone know if the Hasegawa is an E 3 or 4?

Thanks guys. Dale

" Otherwise what's the point? " Well Dale for me, and I would hope for you, it would be FUN. I know you want to be the best, but if it's not fun and your heart isn't into it, you may be great, but what's the point?......Harv

Dale, why mess with the old Hasegawa E when you already have the CyberHobby E?  Easily the best E, it's not close, and they are under $50. I can't even figure out why anyone would build the Eduard Emil, unless you want an E-1. There is no mystery to scribing. I would save that effort for something that there isn't a really good option.

Jay

" Otherwise what's the point? " Well Dale for me, and I would hope for you, it would be FUN. I know you want to be the best, but if it's not fun and your heart isn't into it, you may be great, but what's the point?......Harv

I always stress fun in my teaching. I usually say something like this, "If it is not fun, we may as well do something else."

I am really enjoying this. However I am myself and have my own habits. Practice is something to which I have always been dedicated. Practice has become a huge part of my life. It is what saved me from first losing my career to a fractured spine. I maintained enough of a level to step right back into work.

The same occurred after living in two hospitals for over 12 months. Leaving hospital I headed to the drum shop. I attempted to play but I was unable. However, due to the amount of practice in my past, my skill level is returning.

Without the history of practice, I doubt I could have returned each time.

Playing drums is fun. Playing freely without technical issues, being able to execute a thought and pull it off well is even more fun.

In my mind the following equation is correct.

Skill = fun.

Also the bigger issue is regaining my musculature. I have numb hands. Until recently I was unable to sign my own name. There is more at stake here than simple fun. I began modeling as a form of medical treatment.

Having spent the last 2 years in bed, my body has suffered. It needs repair. This is why the process is more important than any individual model.

I hope this is expressed in a way that clarifies what I am doing.

Which brings us back to the work at hand. I have begun cleaning up last nights wash in preparation for dry brushing. Performing this task has not only been enjoyable, but has helped fill the time between seeing the Dr earlier, and my hospital appointment this afternoon with my haematology professor at the hospital.

20161208_123640-1_zpsdglroqxr.jpg20161208_123717-1_zpsvbpmpbb1.jpg20161208_123730-1_zpsas6euwqq.jpg20161208_124440-1_zpshwpegonh.jpg20161208_124452-1_zpsmilpw1kj.jpg

Thank the stars for this invention. These containers protect much of my work. :)

20161208_125134-1_zpsluficn13.jpg

Dale, why mess with the old Hasegawa E when you already have the CyberHobby E?  Easily the best E, it's not close, and they are under $50. I can't even figure out why anyone would build the Eduard Emil, unless you want an E-1. There is no mystery to scribing. I would save that effort for something that there isn't a really good option.

Jay

I bought the Eduards without knowing the Dragon model existed. I bought mine as soon as I learned of it.

If I do in fact purchase the Hasegawa E, I will view it as a rubber practice pad for working on basic drum rudiments. Plus I have three sets of exhausts for it. ;)

..and Dale...scribing is not "fun"...but hey, if you might get your jollies from it...go for it!

Scribing itself may not be fun. However mastering an art is. :)

Plus at this stage, I don't really care about these models. I have my eyes on subjects such as the Special Hobby MS 406C.1 and the ZM P51D/K. 

Practice makes perfect. Or so they say. I am not a believer in perfection. However I do enjoy the challenge.

Time to go to hospital.

See ya later. :)

Hi guys.

Just an update on the news. To cut a long story longer...

A new life seems to be on offer. I am careful in my enthusiasm. I have lived this before.

I went and said goodbye to all the staff I came to know so well.

After returning home I did some modeling. It has been a long day and even longer couple of years. 

Tomorrow I plan to really get into it. I seem to be missing 2 parts, 1 from a G6 the other from the Dragon kit. I am sure they are in containers.

Awesome news Dale!

Darren

Thanks Darren. Much appreciated. :)

Great news.

I am sure that I speak for all of us that follow this thread that we wish you well and you continue to provide us with more of your superb builds for many more years to come.

As Darren has already said "Awesome news".

Cheers Victor.

Here's to completing a build. I think it will be easier now my head is clearing. (That experimental drug was heavy)

x3, excellent news Dale, one day per time. If you need any parts let me know what it is  I might have it in the stash.

Cheers

Martin

Will do mate. I've misplaced one of the undercarriage sidewalls in my Revell G6. Plus a lever for the Dragon. 

As I said, they must be in containers. I have a spare G6 to raid, happily. The dragon part can easily be fashioned from something else if needed. But I will let you know.

I ordered a cockpit for my Hasegawa K4 by Aires. The horrid job I did using Eduard before I owned any PE tools cannot stay. Later I will use acetone to remove the PE sidewalls.

Now it is only approaching 7.30 am. I plan to do plenty of modeling today. Next week is completely free. No hospital. So I will devote plenty of time then as well. First, coffee. Strong coffee.

The drug remains as a foreign object in my body. It's really very interesting how it works.

Fingers crossed that by Monday it'll be gone.

I play drums tomorrow and have some jingle sessions next week. Plus I must now begin planning my drum clinics and master classes for next year. The drum company wants me to begin after the xmas holidays. 

I have said it before and I am going to say it again. Thank you all for your kindness, understanding and patience with me throughout my time here. I know well how dealing with a crazy person can be frustrating.

Cheers all. Dale

And so the madness continues. It was not the K4 that was in need of a cockpit, it was the G14. 

:mental:

On a happier note, the old job I did to the K4 does not look right to me. I was actually going to strip it and begin again.

So, nothing's changed. :D

Most of my modeling this morning has been in search of the PE fret I "put somewhere safe" for the G10. I relax in the knowledge it is here close to me somewhere....

In between searches I began fine tuning the cockpit. I've highlighted areas of detail, added a couple belts that are mix and match jobs. Fabric and PE. 

It was another learning experience. I learned not to reach too soon for the Zip Kicker. ;)

Note. I did not bother to take photos of myself looking for the PE.

You're welcome. :)

20161209_123206-1_zpsdqf6wevm.jpg

20161209_123218-1_zpsf9isvl8m.jpg

20161209_124019-1_zpsyfqa9zh4.jpg

20161209_124031-1_zpsdo04ndzi.jpg

20161209_124115-1_zpssxjf7dx4.jpg