Tamiya 1/32 P-51D Mustang - "Bunnie / Miss Kentucky State", Ca

DWW

Thank you for sharing!

No worries S - thanks for dropping by.

WOW, i am so inspired  by this build, i just bought myself the 1/32 Tamiya kit. got to get cracking after my current build. Thanks again, hope it would come out as good as yours

Thanks Shan - wish you a ton of fun with yours mate.

Finally a Mustang with a beaten ww2 warrior look, the breakdown of the NMF is realistic and puttied wing looks spot on. Very inspirational , thank you for that. Also than you for sharing the exciting and sad moments related to communication with Roscoe. Very cool !

Cheers

Martin

PS: welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the greeting Martin and the nod on the build - much appreciated.

An absolutely brilliant piece of modeling. The final finish is fantastic, and most eye catching. I enjoyed the connection with the pilot as well, great stuff.

Congrats!

Brad

Cheers Brad - much appreciated.

One terrific Mustang. So very well done.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks P!

Thanks for posting!  I'm going to liberally 'borrow' from your build as I do Duchess Arlene for the same reason, as a tribute to the Tuskeegee Airmen.  I already built one Tamiya P-51D 1/32 as Big Beautiful Doll but for this one I'm going all out with lots of Barracuda resin, placards and HGW stencils. Yours looks GREAT!

Especially appreciate the wing pics.  I did the same for Big Beautiful Doll but definitely got the sliver/gray wrong but good to know what is accurate.

Cheers,

Chris

Amazing build, and truly a heart-warming story.  I too was taken by both the paint work on the rubber fuel tanks and the wings.  Thanks for sharing your recipe for the aluminum lacquer on the wings, will play around with that one on mine.

Blue skies Roscoe!

Hi Steve,

I just can't stop looking at your fantastic and realistic paint and weathering. Your attention to detail is evident and having been in contact with the man who flew her makes it even more special.

Congatulations on a very impressive result.

Cheers Bevan

Edited by Scale32

Thanks for posting!  I'm going to liberally 'borrow' from your build as I do Duchess Arlene for the same reason, as a tribute to the Tuskeegee Airmen.  I already built one Tamiya P-51D 1/32 as Big Beautiful Doll but for this one I'm going all out with lots of Barracuda resin, placards and HGW stencils. Yours looks GREAT!

Especially appreciate the wing pics.  I did the same for Big Beautiful Doll but definitely got the sliver/gray wrong but good to know what is accurate.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi C - cheers for that. The cockpit placards in particular (as well as the IP items) in Roy Sutherland's dedicated set do make a very telling difference in that area, along with the fabric belts.

Do you have a link to your Big Beautiful Doll build btw?

Wish you well with Duchess Arlene!  

Amazing build, and truly a heart-warming story.  I too was taken by both the paint work on the rubber fuel tanks and the wings.  Thanks for sharing your recipe for the aluminum lacquer on the wings, will play around with that one on mine.

Blue skies Roscoe!

Hi D - Thanks. Great to hear you're going down the Hendon Mustang route. Again, do you have a link to your build please? Love to see it.

Hi Steve,

I just can't stop looking at your fantastic and realistic paint and weathering. Your attention to detail is evident and having been in contact with the man who flew her makes it even more special.

Congatulations on a very impressive result.

Cheers Bevan

Much appreciated S!

Steve.

Firstly:

Be still MY Beating Heart :wub:

And secondly it's truly is an INCREDIBLY STUNNING Mustang.

I think you did a very IMPRESSIVE job on it and :wow: it's really takes ones breath away ! EXQUISITE!

AND what a wondrous tribute to Roscoe Brown and for him to see it and how happy you must be to have spoken to one of the nicest Tuskegee Pilots .

KUDOS.

:bow: :bow: :bow: bow:

{You can't have enough MUSTANGS :wub: }

Thanks for that M!

:party0023: Outstanding! I saw the movie about. Great men they were. All the best

Filippo

Hi Fillipo - thanks for the nod on this one.

Hi D - Thanks. Great to hear you're going down the Hendon Mustang route. Again, do you have a link to your build please? Love to see it.

Here's a link to mine if you're interested, not even in the same ballpark as your build!  I find myself staring at the photos of yours and seeing so many things I wish I had done differently.  But that's okay, I just started another one of these kits this weekend!

WOW! Very nicely done, really like the Tuskegee squadron markings, very striking!

Reuben

Cheers Reuben. :-)

Here's a link to mine if you're interested, not even in the same ballpark as your build!  I find myself staring at the photos of yours and seeing so many things I wish I had done differently.  But that's okay, I just started another one of these kits this weekend!

Hi D:

Thanks for that but as for being in a different ballpark - not in the slightest; it's a seductively beautiful build, delightfully rendered. In point of fact, there are things like the clear overflow bottle I considered for mine and really should have included. I love the seat wear too and the standard of paint inside and out is top drawer, so please be assured that the flow of ideas is most definitely a two way street but the thing I like most is your enthusiasm to push on with the next kit. However my current project turns out, I just happily accept that it was the best I could do that time around, while looking forward to doing better on the next. 

I must say, I'm loving this forum's ambience - and apparent freedom from the kind of inputs seen elsewhere. It seems full to the brim with folks who just enjoy the plastic, live and let live and encourage in a thoroughly civilised and adult manner. Deeply refreshing. :-)    

Edited by DWW

I'm actually getting shivers down the spine both from looking at your wonderful build AND the associated story and connection with the pilot.

Truly inspiring!

PS DIdn't you do an Airfix 1/24 Typhoon build for the magazine a couple of years back?

Very nicely done

Lovely

rgds

Thanks for that R!

I'm actually getting shivers down the spine both from looking at your wonderful build AND the associated story and connection with the pilot.

Truly inspiring!

PS DIdn't you do an Airfix 1/24 Typhoon build for the magazine a couple of years back?

Hi S: Guilty as charged...and as you've since discovered on the Tiffie thread... :D

TTFN

Steve

Stellar in every aspect!! The weathering is perfect and leves nothing to be desired, and is executed very well.

Brandon

Cheers Brandon!

I like it. I like the mustang another one on my bucket list. Though I am kind of spooked about doing a natural finish on it. It has to be perfect for that.

But I might give it a try. Nice job on yours though.

Ed

Hi Ed - I understand the apprehension that sometimes arises before tackling a 'natural metal finish'. I believe this is partly fuelled by a gently bewildering choice of products, all of which have their advocates. I favour Alclad II. Durability and ease of application are second to none. Just drop that compressor pressure to 12-15psi and mist on a couple of inches from the surface. Don't go for full coverage straight off the bat - run a hairdryer over for 15-20 seconds and resume. I find four to six cycles sort it. You don't need to prime with Alclad II per se (you do need a black undercoat for their chrome), despite what you might read round and about, so only priming when there is a tangible benefit is in scope.

Don't get fazed by nmf, just work neatly and get past that first time, it's much easier than you might imagine.

TTFN

Steve