Finished - Brick's 1/32 Flagship Mirage IIIO A3-10

AndrewDoppel

As mentioned in one of my other posts I attended ScaleAct, which is a modelling competition in Australia's National Capital-Canberra over the past weekend whereby I presented my rendition of Brick's Flagship Mirage A3-10.  The Mirage was together with Eric Gallier's beautiful 1/32 CAC Sabre, which Brick also flew.  I didn't post images when done as I didn't want Brick to see it before it arrived in his home town.  Now, I didn't get a prize for it (Eric got that) but the look on Brick's face was enough of a prize.  So, without further babble, here is Brick's Mirage.

20161106_235503_zpsewgig69q.jpg

20161106_235513_zpsiypolpo6.jpg

20161106_235533_zpsc1axib8t.jpg

20161106_235755_zpsdvcquord.jpg

20161106_235714_zpsja60rwgs.jpg

20161106_235602_zpsxtkit79k.jpg

20161106_235948_zpsctdvlwqo.jpg

20161106_235931_zpswrgskczk.jpg

....and the man and his two ladies - Wg Cdr Kevin 'Brick' Bricknell (ret) with his lovely wife Janice and Mirage IIIO A3-10 

20161113_123659_zpspata0zoz.jpg

Edited by AndrewDoppel

Great work, great subject, and wonderful to see a model in the hands of the man who flew the real one.  I'm doing a French Recce one from the same kit atm, hope it's up to your standard.

:goodjob:

Great job, Andrew.  You really should have received a prize for this one.  If it hadn't been for the entries of that tiresome young upstart from Queensland (Eric Galliers) I'm sure you'd have gotten something for the cabinet  

I don't mind admitting that it was a very emotional moment for me when I walked into the model show and saw the model for the first time.  Just the sight of it brought back many happy memories, and seeing it parked together with Eric's model of my No 77 Squadron Sabre was just the icing on the cake.  I'm not too sure how an old geezer like me got this much attention from two master modellers in the twilight of my life, but I shamelessly admit to lapping it all up with relish.

Small point: I retired in the rank of Group Captain (GPCAPT), the RAAF having made the incredible blunder of promoting me a couple of years after I left No 3 Squadron.  I mention this because it explains how I got to be CO of the Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) in '88-'89.  We were the last RAAF unit to operate the Mirage IIIO and IIID, most of the rest having been placed in storage at Woomera.  The very last RAAF Mirage to land at Woomera was our IIID, with ARDU test pilot FLTLT Scott Goodier flying and me in the back seat enjoying one last flirtation with that lovely French Lady.

I'm happy to report that A3-10 had a second life with the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).  She was placed in storage at Woomera in October 1988 and was subsequently sold, along with about 50 other IIIOs and a few IIIDs to the PAF.  Most of these aircraft were very heavily modified by the PAF, particularly in terms of the avionics fit.  Her tail number in PAF service was 90-510.

The photographs below show her awaiting shipment from Whyalla in South Australia in October '90, and in service, as 90-510, with the PAF.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that she was still flying as recently as 2010.

paf.jpg

Edited by Brick

Cheers Brick, It was a pleasure to have been able to build this and for you to see it with the Sabre.  I have some goodies for you that I will send to you for you own build.

I don't know if you noticed on the 1/48 jet table at ScaleAct that there was an orange and white two seat Mirage IIID A3-112? Was this the IIID that you flew with Scott?

Hi Andrew.  No, the IIID in question was ARDU's A3-101 (on 8 February 1989).  101 had normal camo, not the unique ARDU "Fanta can" scheme.  It had been used by us as a photographic "chase" vehicle when a high-speed chase was required (e.g., F-111C and F-18 tasks).  Sold to Pakistan in 1990.