Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair

BloorwestSiR

Shaka, I just took Tamiya Yellow Green and added a bit more yellow to it. So definitely not definitive :)

I'm not sure if there is a specific mix or not. I went with "that looks about right".

As for why a Birdcage, well it's what Tamiya came out first so I figured I'd start with that one. I have a pair of 1A kits in the stash and I'm still hoping for a 1D as I really want to do Robert Hampton Grey's plane. He was the last Canadian to to be awarded the VC and one of the last to die in WWII.

Here's a not great pic I took of the Vintage Wings FG-1D marked as his plane:

IMG_20160806_112030.jpg

Carl

I have some more comments on chipping paint.

Years ago an old timer said that silver paint is far too bright for chipping effect, it's distracting.  In fact, for 1/72 scale he suggested light gray!

Perhaps a  half and half mix of silver and light gray?

I like Tamiya's X-32 Titanium Silver acrylic for this job. It is not too bright out of the bottle, but if you wish it can easily be toned down further with a gray filter coat. For sanding to simulate wear, it's much more robust than metallizers, too.

Carl, I wasn't trying to make statement on your interpretation (looks just fine to me) -- it's just that I've seen so many variations/interpretation of it.... Heck, IF I CAN accept Harv's interpretation of Salmon, I have to say that I'm pretty malleable....

:)

Shaka, I certainly didn't take it as a statement, more as a question. I just thought you were interested in what I had used. 

I think it was one of those, "here's the base colours, mix them and have it look yellow-y green-ish" . Of course I could be totally wrong on that.   :D

Besides, look at how many shades of Salmon there are, You can have something darker, like Sockeye, or more to the light pink of a Steelhead or Coho and there's the orange for Atlantic...especially the farmed stuff  :whistle:

Now, I'm hungry.

Carl

Back to Corsairs, I masked off and painted the canopy black.

IMG_20161214_200723.jpg

I then attached the windscreen to the fuselage and taped in place the sliding part.

IMG_20161214_224251.jpg

I also painted the leading edge section of the outer wings to match the inner. So a Duralumin base followed by YZC.

With a final topcoat of the Intermediate Blue Grey.

IMG_20161215_212614.jpg

While it was in the colour cup, I added a couple drops of white and randomly sprayed the upper surfaces.

IMG_20161215_214139.jpg

Edited by BloorwestSiR

As I was planning to erode/weather the wing leading edge,I sprayed the lower grey as well.

IMG_20161215_215941.jpg

This means that the majority of the fuselage is now painted.

I then started carefully sanding the areas that I saw in the photos that show the most wear.

IMG_20161215_221522.jpg

Oddly enough, I noticed that when I stripped the original paint the lacquer thinner actually smoothed out the plastic. It ended up considerably smoother than it had been previously. So I didn't end up with that slightly sand blasted look I had originally.

IMG_20161215_221559.jpg

I'm still happy with the way it's turning out though.

Carl

Is there some definitive thread to what that green/yellow chromate is suppose to look like or if it is different how/what/when/where it was applied? I have a Corsair on order -- not the "Bird Cage", but the 1A (why so many Bird Cage builds?), but I wanna weather this sucker to abandon!

Shaka, the Fuselage and Wing Center Section were painted in Yellow Zinc Chromate primer, on the moving assembly line prior to final assembly, where the outer wing panels, Vertical fin, Rudder, Stabilizers and Elevators were installed as pre-painted and finished assemblies. The plane went from there to a different hangar where painters sprayed the fuselage camouflage and blended everything in (and this was in the days before OSHA, too!).

On a side note, except for some places on the lower leading edges of the horizontal stabilizers, and the wing center section, i've seen very little YZC primer showing thru on any other places on a Corsair- including the folding wing segments.

david

As I was planning to erode/weather the wing leading edge,I sprayed the lower grey as well.

This means that the majority of the fuselage is now painted.

I then started carefully sanding the areas that I saw in the photos that show the most wear.

Oddly enough, I noticed that when I stripped the original paint the lacquer thinner actually smoothed out the plastic. It ended up considerably smoother than it had been previously. So I didn't end up with that slightly sand blasted look I had originally.

I'm still happy with the way it's turning out though.

Carl

That looks @#$%ing amazing. Could not have done it better myself. It will look even better once the 1" walkway lines and the Non skid walkways are added.

Crack On!!

david

Thanks Peter. One thing I realized is that with this focus on the inner wing section, I had better do the outer wings in a similar Gavin or there would be a disconnect between them. So I've started on those now and hope to have them ready to spray the grey at the same time.

Carl

Um... well, there wasn't a huge amount of foot traffic on the outer wing panels, but the leading edges of the wings had a wide variation of paint erosion; depends where the plane was based. There was also repainting done to the outer wing leading edge panels, since the 63-gallon wing tanks had a lot of problems with leakage and there were mods done in the field, to try and correct the problem. You'd probably find paint scratches around all 3 fuel filler caps too.

-d-