Guest Vulcan32

Meteor F.8 prone pilot conversion

Guest Vulcan32

I would like to see this conversion, not a beauty, but very interesting.

Gloster-Meteor-F8-Prone-Pilot-1_zpsfsplj

Cheers, Heinz

Lol, i know i wont buy it. That's even possible that i never saw anything that ugly in my whole life. :)

It seems that some kind of accident happened, as if a meteor has its nose stuck in a smaller aircraft's butt. The smaller aircraft (looks like a baby eggplane F-104) is really suffering and try to get away, please help this cute little thing !

Indeed, that's interesting, but sorry guys i cannot look at it without laughing. :innocent:

Edited by Zero77

BTW, does anybody know what was the purpose of that prone position? It must be terrible to stay in that position for a long time, and i dont really understand what it could improve. Maybe flying an aircraft like riding a motorbike?

I think the german also studied it during WW2 for some paper jets.

Edited by Zero77

BTW, does anybody know what was the purpose of that prone position? It must be terrible to stay in that position for a long time, and i dont really understand what it could improve. Maybe flying an aircraft like riding a motorbike?

I think the german also studied it during WW2 for some paper jets.

To lessen the effects of G forces.

There was an article in Aeroplane Monthly (iirc) many years ago by someone who flew it. Yes, the purpose was to research reducing the effects of G on the pilot - later solved by reclining the pilot (eg F-16). The biggest problem was lack of ability to move the head apparently, thus rendering good lookout impossible. Always flown with a safety pilot in the "proper" cockpit.

Sorry, I cannot remember the issue, but I'm sure it was Aeroplane Monthly.

Incidentally, and obviously, it was the longest Meteor variant.

Edited by MikeC