Clunkmeister

Felixstowe F2a. Finally FINISHED and DONE!

Careful Dale, cupcakes is Already fat enough!....Harv

Don't tell him he looks bored and hits like a pussy.

(Aussie drummer story. ;) )

Edited by mpk

Mate I am really stoked looking at those photos. I can discern quality in art quite well. Were I to compare you with a drummer, that drummer would be in demand for sessions and tours.

I plan on stealing as many of your techniques as I can. ;)

Drummers can't keep up to my pickin' fingers on my 5 string. Ok, maybe you could. :)

And if it wasn't for the damn drummer, we wouldn't need that humongous trailer!

Edited by Clunkmeister

Stringbags are easy, Martin: no heat stressed exhaust cans, no NMF finishes, no canopy masking, and no intake seams to fill....

And no wheel bays, no brake pipes, no ultra detailed cockpits with tons of bezels and levers and buttons, no ejection seat with 10 miles of seatbelts, no antennas that you fight to glue correctly but you break in the next minute...

Very nice start Ernie !

Edited by Zero77

The thing about WW1 stuff like this is that despite all the writing on these, with the possible exceptions of Albatros, Sopwith, Fokker, and other very popular and well researched fighters with surviving unrestored examples, there is scant real information on color and finish onboard these aircraft. Even external colorations are often guesswork, and even unrestored examples have very faded and old paint, so...

What could be seen as a handicap suddenly becomes a huge advantage. Let your artistic side out. Go to town, (within limits, of course). Who's gonna tell you you're wrong? ;)

Try that with an Su-27 or F-15, and you'll be slow roasted over an open coal fire on a spit, complete with an apple in your mouth, but with these, you're just as correct as the next guy. Just GUESS.

That's mostly true, and that's what I like about WWI (and indeed light civil GA) aircraft modelling - the freedom to explore techniques without worrying about losing one's modelling street cred (and these days I'm over worrying about that anyway).  Mind you, with the Shuttleworth Collection just down the road I'm also blessed with access to the real thing for reference.

Looking good Ernie. I totally agree about the freedom you have with the WNW kits. Not much out there to tell you you're wrong. I find it really interesting trying to replicate all the different materials they used in building these planes. After spending a lot of the weekend rigging my DFW I would say don't let that prevent you from enjoying one these kits. Really not that bad.

Jay

Agreed.  Slowly logically, and as noted above, working outwards.

I may never buy one of these (although I'd love to), let alone build one, but I'll pull up a chair in the front row for this one.  Looking great so far. :goodjob:

A couple more pictures. This is still a press-fit only. No glue on any major assembly as of yet.

image-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

Funny thing with WnW kits... Cockpits take weeks if not months to do on these things. The whole thing will be on display with these showing loud and prod, no canopy gets in the way, so having this done 'right' is extremely important.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Seriously, it's not. You just need to plan and work symmetrically from the inside out. Do the hardest to reach lines first, the move out.

Also, pre rig the top wing before you even mount it. That way, you only need to run them through the lower turnbuckles when the wings are mounted.

I use mono line for all structural rigging in the wing bays. It adds huge, huge strength. I then use EZ Line for control runs along the fuselage and such. That way if you compress one, it just snaps back into place without tearing stuff up.

Thanks for the tip! :)

I recently bought a Sopwith Camel in 32nd that I'll try my skills on. Just need to get a few other projects done first.

HÃ¥kan