Beaufighter Mk 1 from Revell *Completed*

BradG

I'm really surprised at the fit at the belly, Brad; mine is nothing like that. Do you intend to do a sand and rescribe job?

Probably not. Raised panel lines don't worry me too much in older kits.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well with my airbrush down for repair, I've got at least 5 kits awaiting paint so I blew off the dust layer on this puppy and started sanding again. I've resorted to gel super glue and plastic strip to fill in the gaps for the outer wings. I've also been hacking away at the engines to make them fit inside the cowlings. I tend to get a bit brutal with models that aren't fitting as I'd like them to.

I'll take some pictures in the morning.

Ah, I've not test fitted those yet Bill, I'm just dealing with the engines and how they don't fit into the cowlings at the moment. I've pretty much got the cowlings together, a little more sanding to go. As you can see from the picture, I've had to be pretty heavy handed with the tops of the cylinders. Now the engines fit and I can put the cowlings (minus the collector rings) on first.

seXs4NT.jpg

Some more progress over the past couple of days. Firstly I dealt with the rather poor fitting formation lights on the wingtips. I glued them in with contacta, then filled the gaps with gel superglue and sanded until it was all good. I will paint over them then mask and paint them. 

yg67rfC.jpg

Next are the engine cowlings. Fit here was pretty decent and with the engines cut down they fit inside no problems.

3mhDiTq.jpg?1

I also decided to attach the under carriage. I've decided on building a Mk 1F from 89 Squadron, these had black under surfaces with mid stone and dark earth upper camouflage. The detail here is completely fictitious, but no ones going to be looking in them so I'll just paint them black and be done with it.

kkHvgtc.jpg