Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex

dodgem37

So nice to see this fantastic Rex venture back on the main build forum.  Thank you  Mark for sharing this journey with us.

Thank you Kev for moving this for everyone to see all over again!  This has to be one of my favorite LSP articles in the past 2-3 years.

regards,

Troy 

Catching up to this; great work!

I almost hate to mention this so late in the game, but ran into this by total accident a couple of weeks ago:

710x528_20945519_11893149_1509786949.jpg

It is on Shapeways. Expensive, but saves a lot of work. They have a trolley, too. I just received it recently. When I get time, I will write a review.

Thanks a LOT for ruining my LIFE, Ray.  Besides, it's not accurate, and, it's not my version.  Just kidding.  Glad you did.  Wish I'd seen it sooner.    It could have saved me a lot of time and work.  But what fun would that have been?  I wouldn't have learned anything.  Looking forward to your review.

Dejectedly yours,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Catching up to this; great work!

I almost hate to mention this so late in the game, but ran into this by total accident a couple of weeks ago:

710x528_20945519_11893149_1509786949.jpg

It is on Shapeways. Expensive, but saves a lot of work. They have a trolley, too. I just received it recently. When I get time, I will write a review.

4 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Thanks a LOT for ruining my LIFE, Ray.  Besides, it's not accurate, and, it's not my version.  Just kidding.  Glad you did.  Wish I'd seen it sooner.    It could have saved me a lot of time and work.  But what fun would that have been?  I wouldn't have learned anything.  Looking forward to your review.

Dejectedly yours,

Mark

Agreed!   Dang you Ray!!!!   :lol:    This is pretty much exactly what I needed to base my prototype build off of.    Yes, a bit pricey, but hey, what large 1/32nd conversions aren't expensive these days??

16 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Dejectedly yours,

Mark

Well, maybe not a time saver. I spent a few minutes taking a closer look (just got it a few days ago and didn't have time at that moment), the 3D parts need A LOT of work. The spinner doesn't have the correct curve, having almost a straight line for the middle third, it is missing the middle panel line, and the props are suspect. The cowling's shape looks close, but I can't find any version that matches the layout of the vent flaps; they seem to be half middle version and half late version. Note the (incorrect) spinner is of the middle version. It is missing the oval opening for the exhaust. Also, the layout of the panel lines are not correct in layout and are HUGE trenches. They pretty much look just like those in the artwork I posted.

The floats look better, at least in overall shape, but there is problems with some of the detail and again, the panel lines are trenches.

I think it can be corrected with a lot of work (the flap section of the cowling will need to be cut off and re-built, all trenches filled and re-scribed, spinner re-shaped just for a start).

So it might be a toss up whether this would have saved you any time at all and it would definitely set you back some dough.

The matching dolly might be worth it, though, as it is just one piece and appears pretty close to what I see in the photos.

I will try and put up a review as soon as I can (got some other stuff in front of it) and I think I will try and get a hold of the maker/CAD guy and see what he says about it before I write any review. 

Feel better now? :)

Well damn! 

That doesn't sound good at all.

Thanks for the mini review Ray.

I DO actually have the SB resin conversion, and it sounds like this conversion may actually be more work to get in shape than the ScratchBiulders conversion.

The SB conversion has its issue like the shape of the cowl and some other stuff, but doesn't seem quite as much work as this one. I think you may be right about the dolly though it might be worth it.

How stiff is the material the conversion is made out of?

Seems Shapeways has indicated the Rex conversion and trolly are made from the same material.

I ask, as the resin the trolly my Rufe came with was no where NEAR stiff enough to support the model.

'at least with the printed float, it is a lot lighter than the solid SB conversion float.'

I cast the main float as a solid, and indeed it is a hefty piece of resin.  But in the same regard, it's got to counter-balance the rest of the kit weight to keep the model from tail sitting.  And still, I don't know if it is heavy enough.  I'll know more later down the line.

Like the Horizon vac I used as a master, something hollow is too light-weight to counter-balance all of that rear end weight.  Even Tamiya provides a counter weight to install into the front of the main float in their 1/48 Rex.  This showed to me that they are aware of a weight distribution problem and I need be too.

Sincerely,

Mark

I have been wondering about the 3D printing aspect for things like this. I have not dug my SB conversion out in a long time,  and dont remember if it comes with the different tail and what not, but have been thinking depending on the printer and size of work area, any missing parts may be able to be printed if the files were available.  

At this stage 3D printing and its uses really intrigue me, but I cant afford my own printer at this time, and am not up to speed or have the ability to make my own 3D files to send to a printer.