3d Printed sailor in 28mm

Joe66

Ok, soooooo.... I have recently started working with a digital sculptor, and the test figure below shows the digital artwork, the raw 3d test print (minus supports), and a quickly painted 'finished' figure. It represents a typical 18th -19th century ordinary seaman, done in 28mm size. This was done on a desktop DLP/SLA type 3d printer. A successful test, and the shape of things to come...! -Joe

IMG_0152_zpsbua8bevf.jpg

IMG_0157_zpsmo6qyq7w.jpg

IMG_0161_zpsyicw248h.jpg

Thanks Boris !

This is an experiment, and once I get things going, I do indeed plan to create some 1/32 scale subjects. Right now we are determining how much detail we can hold at how small of scale with the equipment and format we are using. I think it looks promising that 1/32 figures should look great !

-Joe

It is the nature of the type of 3d printer we are using....the image is built upside down and layers are projected onto the build plate, so they print in the reverse. In most cases this makes no difference at all, but where we need specific action to one side or the other, we just flip the artwork before printing. ..

I was waiting for this to be mentioned..:) :) :)

Joe

Edited by Joe66

Boris,

When you stop and think about the limitless possibilities...it can be overwhelming ! Hopefully the figures and other items I plan to bring to the market will do reasonably well, and I will be able to expand the offerings for years to come. However, not everyone wants to use figures, or make dioramas, and of those that do, not everyone wants to paint them, so there are a number of limiting factors.

I will say, that a good many of the things I want to produce are born out of my own desire as well. For example; I do intend to make a WWII Landing Signal Officer. Probably in both 54mm and 120mm. I could also see making some ground personnel in 54mm for use with Vietnam era aircraft. How about some WWII WASP pilots ?

At any rate, yes, I hope to be busy for quite a while :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence !

- Joe

Hello Joe,

Fantastic I wish I could do what you are doing and just do the stuff i want or need for the moment,but I understand that it comes with an price and a lot of work.

Cheers

Boris

Boris,

When you stop and think about the limitless possibilities...it can be overwhelming ! Hopefully the figures and other items I plan to bring to the market will do reasonably well, and I will be able to expand the offerings for years to come. However, not everyone wants to use figures, or make dioramas, and of those that do, not everyone wants to paint them, so there are a number of limiting factors.

I will say, that a good many of the things I want to produce are born out of my own desire as well. For example; I do intend to make a WWII Landing Signal Officer. Probably in both 54mm and 120mm. I could also see making some ground personnel in 54mm for use with Vietnam era aircraft. How about some WWII WASP pilots ?

At any rate, yes, I hope to be busy for quite a while :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence !

- Joe

Thanks for the explanation.  I was thinking that there was a reason for it and the little guys does look great!