1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

Thanks Barney! It's getting closer to the finish.

As for your spare Mustang, I still have a couple in the stash...and schemes in mind for them. But, I would consider another, just in case. It's no longer available on the Airfix site. Send me a message and let me know what you'd like for it.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Yep...just as I remembered after re-reading about all of your work....amazing!!!  And life is too short for me to go to the lengths you have with this kit.  I am doing this stuff on my 24th Mosquito and I think one is enough for me.

I will just enjoy your work and gain inspiration for wrestling these big Airfix beasts through this build

Keep up the awesome work

Anthony

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Yep...just as I remembered after re-reading about all of your work....amazing!!!  And life is too short for me to go to the lengths you have with this kit.  I am doing this stuff on my 24th Mosquito and I think one is enough for me.

I will just enjoy your work and gain inspiration for wrestling these big Airfix beasts through this build

Keep up the awesome work

Anthony

Thank you again, Anthony, for the very kind words!

I just did the same thing with your thread and realized I hadn't looked at your updates for a while. What you are doing with that Mosquito is stunning. So maybe your build just did the same for me, and now that cooler weather might be returning I can get started again. THe summer has been very humid and I was a little anxious about what that would do to airbrushing and spraying paint...ok no, that's a lie...I've been sailing and enjoying the outdoors, and airshows. :)

Thank you, and time for both of us to get back at it!

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

1 hour ago, R Palimaka said:

Thank you again, Anthony, for the very kind words!

I just did the same thing with your thread and realized I hadn't looked at your updates for a while. What you are doing with that Mosquito is stunning. So maybe your build just did the same for me, and now that cooler weather might be returning I can get started again. THe summer has been very humid and I was a little anxious about what that would do to airbrushing and spraying paint...ok no, that's a lie...I've been sailing and enjoying the outdoors, and airshows. :)

Thank you, and time for both of us to get back at it!

Richard

We have had the opposite...cold and wet.

Richard:  Sorry to be so long in responding about the Mustang kit but computer problems and health situation have caused the delay.  Apparently the guy that I had bought the kit from had started painting and test fitting bits and cutting sprue.  The box has fallen apart and is in no shape to ship.  It is really an ugly mess!

Regards Barney

20 hours ago, Old Dog Flying said:

Richard:  Sorry to be so long in responding about the Mustang kit but computer problems and health situation have caused the delay.  Apparently the guy that I had bought the kit from had started painting and test fitting bits and cutting sprue.  The box has fallen apart and is in no shape to ship.  It is really an ugly mess!

Regards Barney

No worries at all Barney, and I'm really sorry to hear about your continuing health issues. Don't worry about the 1/24 Airfix Mustang, I checked my stash and discovered I have three more of them! As much as I'd like to give it a loving home, I've got enough to keep me busy with Mustangs for a while. ;)

Richard

• 5 weeks later...

Cooler weather is here, with earlier sunsets and less sailing...so jumping back into the project both feet.

Just a bit of a tease, I will post more photos once I get more organized again. I have sprayed the wings with Tamiya AS-12, which looks good ( to me ) to represent aluminum lacquer painted surfaces. I will eventually weather them lightly, as photographs show that most RCAF Mustangs were kept quite clean. 424 Squadron seems to have been particularly attentive to their aircraft.

I am currently working on the windscreen and canopy. The windscreen assembly is especially terrifying, as the engineering is not great. It is a butt-fit into recesses in the fuselage, with large gaps to fill. After polishing and dipping in Future, letting it cure for over a week, I painted the bottom edge of the side quarter panels black to hide any reflection, and then used black epoxy and canopy glue to secure it. It's not going anywhere now. I used Milliput to fill the gaps because I figured it would be relatively inert and wouldn't fog the clear parts. So far so good. I will mask and then very carefully and delicately sand the result. I think it will be ok. Then a coat of Mr. Surfacer and more sanding, and then ready for paint.

8uE09Rml.jpg

Once this is all smooth, sharp edged and primed I plan on another thin coat of black primer on the whole fuselage. Then one more session of very gentle sanding with pads to reduce the rivets a bit more. After that the most terrifying step for me...several shades of Alclad. Still hoping to get this done for Capcon in Ottawa end of September. We'll see.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thank you Ron, that's very kind. It's been a long haul, seems like this old kit will swallow as much work as you are willing to put in. However, It is still the best base kit to start from, and I've enjoyed all of it.

Sorry to hear about you losing yours that way! A 1/24 P-51D in 325th FG markings would have been pretty spectacular.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

A huge step, getting over my fear of this next phase. Finally got some time this weekend to start applying paint, after practicing and getting properly acquainted with my airbrush over the past couple of weeks. I did the wings with Tamiya AS-12 decanted from the rattle can and sprayed using the airbrush. It  looked like a good match for the filled and painted wings of the Mustang. The red panels were sprayed with Model Master "Guard's Red", which is  accepted as an excellent match for the RCAF "Red 1-GP-12b: 9-2" used during the 1950s for the red search marking panels.

The flying surfaces remained in natural metal, so the flaps, ailerons, and elevators were airbrushed with Mission Models Dark Aluminum.

Once this has all cured hard in a day or so, I will start applying different shades of Alclad, with various panels picked out with other aluminum shades. I'm using a drawing which sets out the different thicknesses of aluminum skins as a guide. Hopefully it will all look like what I have in my mind.

Sorry for the quality of the photos, they were done quickly with my phone. I'll get better photos with my DSLR. The problem with some of the photos is the lens on the phone tends to distort the dimensions somewhat, and doesn't really capture the correction to the dihedral of the wings. Trust me, they are now at the right angle. :)

The aluminum coloured circles are for the RCAF roundel. The roundels were 24" in diameter, with a 1 1/2 inch outline surrounding them. It was just masked with ordinary masking tape.

El1DTFjh.jpg

J8ZVgm9h.jpg

QEcFxkAh.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka