1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

Thank you Alain!

Yes, it all comes on one sheet of very thin metal, and each item has to be cut out individually. The 1/24 sheet is not too bad, but I have no idea how you would remove the items from the 1/32 and 1/48 sheets! Those placards and instruments are very close together and the metal is very delicate so you have to be careful not to bend it. It is best done on a sheet of glass or tile. Still though, they are worth the effort!

Richard

Thank you Mark! I could have left them up, but I like the look of the Mustang on the ground with everything hanging down. I just couldn't leave the doors the way they looked out of the kit.

Edited by R Palimaka

• 2 weeks later...

Holidays coming in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to work on this solidly for a few hours at a time. In the meantime, steady slow progress. I've built replacement tailwheel doors. The ones in the kit are two 2x4 planks, with notches for two giant hooks/hinges so that they operate.

I built these out of a couple of layers of cardstock, with details carved and scribed in. The tailwheel doors on the real aircraft had piano hinges, so I attached one length of cardstock at an angle, so that they could be glued in after the model was assembled and painted, and both doors would already be at the correct angle. The rivets are again from Archer, as well as the resin piano hinges, which I think work very well. They just have to be primed, painted and weathered. 

lDqkbiO.jpg?1

Edited by R Palimaka

And here is the tailwheel enclosure being built. I can't find decent drawings even in the engineering manuals, so working from the Tamiya kit and the photos I have. It's not quite done, more rivets and stringers needed, along with some control wires and painting.

HKh2PBQ.jpg?1

Only just catching up on your build, I have the same 51 circa 1972-3 so really keen to crib your ideas, if I could please........

Shame about PB as all the earlier WIP are gone...........hitting follow now.........what I have seen ......wow

Thank you! Crib away please if it helps you! I've been doing the same with a couple of builds on here and it helps to solve problems when you see how others approach it. I have promised someone else drawings and templates for some of the additions I've made. Haven't got them complete yet but I could send you copies when they're ready if you like.

PB are a bunch of crooks. I'm slowly tracking backward and trying to replace all the images with IMGUR. It's a slow process...

I finally finished assembling the RB Productions harness. The instructions are pretty straightforward, but should be studied beforehand. The parts are tiny, and for older eyes hard to assemble. I did one strap per night over a few days and found it actually was more pleasant that way, instead of trying to do them all at once. 

They look remarkably convincing when done! I just sprayed the metal parts with a bit of clear flat to reduce the shine a bit. I'll have to draw in some stitching in appropriate spots, and then attach them to the seat with the pegs I made from stretched sprue (the tiny bolt-like things in the photo). Once they're on I'll drape them and weather them a tiny bit so they don't look so new. 

YSxVh59l.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

The port side of the cockpit is getting closer to completion. I've attached the console and various other bits, the throttle and some stencilling and warning placards are next, and I've built new canopy rails. That will be followed by a coat of clear semi-matte finish. Then it's on to the instrument panel and starboard side of the cockpit. It's slow but it's getting there.

qszYN7Cl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka