1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

18 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that prop looks excellent

Are the swirls decals or paint?

Thank you! They are decals I printed myself, based on the 1/32 ones from Leading Edge. I printed several extras, I had to double them up when I applied them, the black was pretty thin with just one layer. 

2 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Yes Kevin, it does. They are pretty good in shape, the fins are a bit thick  but that's easy to fix. I think they would look really good with a little effort.

You looking for some 500 lb. bombs? ;) I've got ten of them...

I'm not real sure. The two bombs that are included in the Kinetic Thunderbolt, appear quite large, perhaps thousand pounders? I'm guessing 250 or 500 pound bombs would be a better mix with the bazooka tubes.

17 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'm not real sure. The two bombs that are included in the Kinetic Thunderbolt, appear quite large, perhaps thousand pounders? I'm guessing 250 or 500 pound bombs would be a better mix with the bazooka tubes.

You're probably right about the load with the bazookas. I can post photos of the bombs to give you an idea what they're like, and they're yours if you want them, no charge. 

Richard

PS: Thank you Kevin! The spinner should really stand out with all the other colours on her once she's painted. One of my favourite restored Mustangs was flying in similar colours back in the early 1980s out of Hamilton, ON. Unfortunately she burned after clipping a farm building after a successful forced landing on a rural road in 1984. The engine failed while returning from an engine overhaul facility. :-( 

OrxpRCIl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

2 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

You're probably right about the load with the bazookas. I can post photos of the bombs to give you an idea what they're like, and they're yours if you want them, no charge. 

Richard

That would be just excellent. I'll measure and/or take some photos today of the ones that were provided in my kit.

13 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Yep, almost exactly the same size, lengthwise anyway. Mine seem fatter than that too though, with a very rounded nose area. I have yet to confirm if the nose shape is correct or not.

It looks like yours is possibly closer to the actual shape? The Airfix version seems too long for a 250 lb. general purpose bomb, but not quite fat enough for a 500 lb. bomb. The actual nose shape looks maybe somewhere in between the two, although the Kinetic seems closer. 

According to the link below, it should be 57" overall (including tail) and 14" diameter, which works out to 60mm x 14.75mm in 1/24 scale.  (doing that math hurt my head) .

PS: And i just measured the Airfix bomb and it's almost spot on to those measurements. So, my eyeball opinion above was wrong, the Airfix isn't too bad. 

http://harringtonmuseum.org.uk/an-m64/

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks, Rich. I'll continue slogging through what I have, trying to see if these Kinetic bombs make sense to me, shape-wise. If they do, I'll just go ahead and add them, if not, I may put the bite on you for a couple. Keep up the good work. I'm really becoming a fan of the larger 1:24 kits.