1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

3 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Beautiful looking Mustang! This one is quite an eye catcher and I hope I can see it in person someday!

Can I say that every aircraft looks great in Canadian markings?

Alain

Thank you Alain! I'm hoping to finish it before the HeritageCon in Hamilton at the end of March, and might bring it to a couple shows after that. Would be nice to meet you!

Richard

PS: And yes, Canadian markings look great on anything!

2 hours ago, Old Dog Flying said:

Richard:  That is one lovely Mustang!!!!  I just wish that I could finish my Big Mustang in Dennis Bradley's markings  BA*U.

Thanks Barney!  BA-U was my favourite restored Mustang. Love the 424 Squadron scheme.

Richard

• 2 months later...

Wow!! Amazing build, I have been on and off with my Mustang for about 3 years now and am in the throes of H K’s 1/32 Lancaster!! In an earlier thread Richard you said you’d be willing to share your templates of the wheel bay etc? I persisted with thin card & rod (very fiddly) but my rendition isn’t a patch on yours & will probably re-do it soon. If possible I would really appreciate if you could forward a copy of your template? Much appreciated and I will keep an eye out for any of your future builds. Regards 

Michael

Thanks Michael! I've been at it for over three years as well, but it's so close to the end. I've run into a couple of frustrating little puzzles that have paused the build temporarily. I'll sort them out this week.

As for the wheel bay,  a better solution if you prefer, would be the 3D printed parts from Model Monkey. They are spectacular, and are designed to fit the Airfix Mustang. The detail is far better than I could ever have done, and will save so much time and cussing. You may have to wait a bit for them, but they would be worth it. 

https://www.model-monkey.com/product-page/1-24-p-51d-p-51k-and-mustang-mk-iv-wheel-well-inserts-for-airfix-kits

In the meantime, here is the rough drawing I did. They are just hand-drawn and I've put a scale on them so you can confirm the dimensions if you print them out.  I can send it to you in an attachment to your email. You can send me a message here at LSP. 

h1tmbC9h.jpg

All of that stuff above in place:

7E70Imwh.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 7 months later...

Well, exiled to Page 21 of Works in Progress. Guess it's time to resurrect this one now that colder weather is here and get started again.

There isn't really a lot left to do, although some of what's ahead is a bit delicate, and some tedious. The big barrier has been the sliding portion of the canopy which has fought me. I have assembled a huge arsenal of different glues and adhesives to try to see if I can tame it. More later.

In the meantime I took better photos of where I'm at right now. Hope it won't be too repetitive, but these have less cluttered backgrounds. 
Thanks

Richard

o0PwsUxh.jpg

uuOyC01h.jpg

6FdOUR3h.jpg

• R Palimaka changed the title to 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV...inching toward the finish line
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Sparzanza said:

Two 1/24 Airfix Mustangs so close to the finishline on this site! I like it.

I like it too! Kinda cool they're both Canadian subjects. I've been busy the last two months with a couple of big related projects. They're mostly finished so I can concentrate on getting this over the finish line...although I'm not challenging you to a race, lol!

10 hours ago, williamj said:

Really wonderful job on a very challenging kit...nicely done:clap2:

Thank you William! I appreciate that very much coming from you. It's not an easy kit, but I've enjoyed every minute. Loving the subject aircraft helps.

Richard

• R Palimaka changed the title to 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV...last steps

OK, four and a half years should have been long enough to finish this. :unsure:

This wont be a very exciting update, sorry, but it makes me feel like I'm near the end. We are now in a stay-at-home posture in Ontario, and so I'll be working from home for the next 28 days. I'd like to finish it this weekend, and have been slowly attending to all the fiddly bits to attach once the weathering and final coats are applied.

First, all the lights that will go on once things are cured and dry. The navigation lights were a case of "whittling down a tree to make toothpicks." :mellow:  I used two suitably coloured toothbrushes and tried to stretch them like sprue. The plastic in them is very different and once heated they wanted to snap back like rubber. I had to hold them until they cooled, and then they were rock hard. Then it was carving and polishing and a coat of Tamiya clear red and green. The tail light was just a piece of clear sprue polished and coated with Future, and this'll be cut off and attached.

CxJgClTl.jpg

The underwing signal lights were tiny discs of clear vacuform sheets stamped out with a leather punch ( I'm too cheap to buy a punch and die set ). They were again painted with Tamiya clear colours and dropped in to the kit holes, which were backed with white plastic card. The bezel surrounding each light was from a Eduard photo-etch set. The light positions on the kit are actually too small and close together on the wing, but not by much though. I decided to leave them as is. And no one will know...except anyone reading this.

SANP6bcl.jpg

Finally the landing light. I got a little obsessive and rebuilt the kit light with a lens, the power cable, a small roller on the bottom and the forks that extend into the wheel well. Sorry, the photo is not very clear.

bd6Yhkgl.jpg

The most frustrating part of the whole build was the sliding portion of the canopy. I've rebuilt it several times now. I wanted to eliminate the step at the bottom of the kit clear part, which fit into the skirt around the bottom. The front frame on the kit part also didn't sit properly against the opening of the bubble, leaving small gaps on the side and top. I sanded the entire step off the bubble, which required adding a strip on the inside of the skirt to hold it. Once I was happy with that the bubble had to be polished and dipped in Future. Once the bubble was attached I had to build the framing at the front, once again out of plastic card shaped to the opening. The rivet pattern was redone using a riveting tool. 

It's not perfect, but it's better. I wish there was a replacement aftermarket canopy available...

Reskinned:

uw15KKRl.jpg

Primed and rivets applied...one more light sanding to level things out.

EERWDPEl.jpg

Better, good enough...don't want to jinx things by doing anything else.

Jv4FJr2l.jpg

Also had to create a set of rails to replace the "working" versions in the kit.

Evergreen "I" beams sanded and drilled.

EtogsnEl.jpg