1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

5 hours ago, Old Dog Flying said:

Richard...that is one beautiful Mustang!  What are you going to do for decals?

Barney

Thank you Barney!

The markings are going to be a combination of the Airfix kit roundels/national markings from the one they issued with RCAF post-war markings (which surprisingly enough are accurate, even the right maple leaf and size), the code letters will be home-made masks (old school, masking tape/film and very careful cutting...I don't have a vinyl cutting machine) and then some home-printed decals. The stencils will be from various sheets, and I'm going to try some dry-transfers from Hobbydecal, and again some home-printed stencils which were  unique to RCAF Mustangs, with the correct font. Hopefully it will all work out.  

Squadron crest home-printed. 

GasRfcTl.jpg

• R Palimaka changed the title to 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV...more progress...decals

Had some bench time over the last couple of nights. The model was clear-coated with a mixture of Future thinned with 99% alcohol, Liquitex levelling fluid and a touch of Vallejo Smoke. To be honest, it did not shift the metallic finish of the Alclad much, just enough to reduce some of the brightness which was something I was hoping for. Doing this all for the first time made me a bit nervous, but using a paint mule to practice helped.

Some of the larger decals have been applied and that went smoothly, eventually. The Airfix kit roundels and fin flash could not be used afterall. I found that looking under a magnifying glass that the red parts of their decals had a red base with a microscopic matrix of black dots to darken it. I found an old set of CanForce roundels of different sizes in my stash. I think the blue is a little dark, but I can live with it.  I had hoped that my homemade masks for the codes would work, but they didn't come out sharp enough on my paint mule, so I applied the underwing codes as decals (which were homemade on my printer). So far I'm pleased, and they should blend in nicely with another thin layer of clear. Overall, I don't want to weather it too much because as I said, 424 Squadron's Mustangs were kept quite clean.

I have now noticed a couple things I still have to do. I forgot about the fuselage fuel filler cap. It still has to be drilled out and replaced with the scratch built item I made. Also the canopy rails have to be detailed with shallow holes and slots...oh dear, my poor eyes.

1whCC1Ah.jpg

ayRAQ90h.jpg

KcsqyCHh.jpg

LMRGf1Eh.jpg

5lTC7e4h.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

• R Palimaka changed the title to 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV...update 14.XI.19...decals
  • 1 month later...

Thanks so much Anthony, Barney and Brian!! You guys are so kind and keep me going. There has been a bit more progress, but I have family with me for a while and they have been staying in my "workshop". 

I've added the bomb pylons and rockets stubs, the exhausts, the code letters and many stencils. At one point I accidentally snapped off the port landing gear leg. After a lot of cussing, I had to drill it out and reinforce it with a brass pin...hopefully it should be even stronger than before. 

It's been an interesting learning experience with the stencils. Seems like there are several generations of stencils on Canadian Mustangs, depending on the time period. I've had to try to print my own, and at least now I have them all documented from 1947 to 1956. 

I will try to sneak into the room and retrieve the model for a few more photos.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

• 1 month later...

After a long break, some progress was made over the weekend, so I snapped some quick photos this morning. I managed to apply a few more of the decals, there are dozens yet to go. I also have to source some white stencils for the access panels on the black anti-glare area...haven't figured out how to print white decals.

After deeper research on RCAF Mustangs for a separate long term project, I have to redesign some stencils and correct/replace others. I discovered more close-up photographs of 9253, including some original colour photos from the 1950s of this specific aircraft and her sisters. Among other things it confirms that the inner clamshell landing gear doors were in fact painted interior green, so that will have to be repainted. Once all that's done then it's attaching all the small bits, and some light weathering of the whole aircraft. One great thing that has come out of this is that I've been able to document and chart the chronological changes in the stencilling on RCAF Mustangs...which is such great conversation on a date. :rolleyes:

OPzE5YJh.jpg

fctq7rYh.jpg

With the prop attached:

aPNMQFFh.jpg

lblZAA0h.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

• R Palimaka changed the title to 1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV...Jan. 28, even more decals
2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

oh my word that looks stunning!  I....must....resist....doing a 1/24 Mustang!  But you are making this difficult for me, LOL

Keep up the amazing work, almost there

Thanks Anthony! Yes, getting there!

And I think I'll just leave these here...

J0gWqzzh.jpg

X3sZjt6h.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka