1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

Looking good Richard..just remember that those blades were Flat Black.  The Alclad Clear finiches are superb.

Barney

Thanks Barney, the blades will be sprayed with a flat coat. In photos, the real spinner itself had a nice semi-gloss sheen so a satin finish is what I'll go for.  

Fantastic work on that spinner, Richard!

Kev

Thanks Kevin! This Airfix kit might not have been the smartest choice for a return to building after a break of several years, but I'm having fun and learning lots...and surprising myself along the way. This Group Build has been one of the best yet...great participation...and just look at the awesome stuff people are doing!

Richard 

Now, I'm not sure what happened, but everything I scratch-built this weekend...actually worked out! 

This is the first time I've tried something this extensive (for me), and I'm thrilled. I've learned a lot from other people here and it's rubbing off a bit. I realize now the big thing is to get over the fear and just try it. 

I was intimidated by the absolutely empty gear wells on this kit. But using the template in the old Airfix book on the building of this kit, and some sanding and eye-balling, I built a spar by doubling up some thick card. It's robust enough that not only does it form the back of the gear well like the real deal, but it also helps to give the wing the proper dihedral and some rigidity. I then added the central section dividing the starboard and port gear wells. Then came the roof (which is the top of the wing) from card stock on the top halves of the wing. When all of it is fitted together, it boxes in the gear wells nicely. By dividing it top and bottom it allows me to add all the details (ribs, stringers, piping and wiring) and paint it before sandwiching it all together. That's the theory anyway.  

sr8SpFn.jpg

This is the inside of the well with the top wing on. I'm only holding it together by hand here.

0vI0qbB.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

I assembled the flap halves on both sides, and capped the leading edge of the flap with a 1/3 section of 9/32" styrene tube, which seemed to be the exact diameter to produce the proper curve. The inboard end of the flap was built up to the correct shape. It all fits into the rear of the wing, although the inside of the wing top will need thinning. They will of course need some sanding and filling, and the details added. 

It actually kind of surprised me how it all came together...

L1gEXzY.jpg

LovWQva.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

I spent this evening adding stringers and strapping to the roof of the gear well, and started to detail the spar. I'll take the ribs from the Tamiya kit gear well, photocopy them, and then enlarge that to 1/24 scale for a template to cut ones from card. I'm hoping they'll be close enough for a start, and I can sand and shape them to fit. I'm just aiming for the gear wells to look busy, not duplicate every pipe and wire bundle. I'll post photos once I have something to show. Next job is to finish the gear legs. 

Edited by R Palimaka

Excellent work Richard, I'm so pleased that you've had a go and achieved success! Cutting plastic can be daunting but I always remind myself that it is only plastic and if something goes wrong, and it will, it's not the end of the world!! It's very satisfying when it all works out though.

Max

He, He, for a "simple" build, this one is getting more involved every day ;) ...

Great job throughout. It's good to see an old model being improved without a fortune in AM stuff, and shows how basic modelling skills well applied can achieve wonders.

I personally liked the green thunderbold scheme better, but have to say this spinner is really impressive. For sealing printed decals, I use Microscale's own decal film. It dries tough and gloss and is great. My assumption is also that this one at least has to be compatible with Micro Sol and Micro Set. On my Nieuport (Between the wars GB), I finished it off with a coat Tamiya Clear (I always struggle to remember if it is X-22 or X-21 :( ) to achieve sheen consistency with the rest of the airframe.

Keep it coming :popconr:

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Thank you gentlemen, it means so much coming from you two.

Max - Like you said, it's only plastic. It's intimidating at first but once you manage each step it encourages you to try the next improvement or correction, and it's been fun.  Plastic card and glue doesn't cost much...

Hubert - Haha, no, I didn't intend to get this involved, but once you start making the effort it's hard to stop...and it feels great when it works out. There's not much aftermarket for this kit, so you're forced to improvise. I've made notes and drawings, so the next one will be easier. Unless Airfix decides that their next 1/24 "superkit" will be a completely new Mustang.

Suddenly that vacform Wyvern I've been looking at doesn't sound so crazy.

Richard

..now this is getting interesting...

I'll second that, I'm in deeper than I planned...but more than ok with it.  :)

I placed an order with Airscale today for a couple of their full-meal deal 1/24 P-51 instrument panels. They look absolutely beautiful, and I don't think after all this work that I can live with the kit part which is closer to a P-51B panel. I ordered two because...I think I will do this again.

Edited by R Palimaka