CF-104 - Hasegawa

LSP_Ron

Guest Peterpools

Ron

Geez .. looking just fantastic. I'm really glad the 104 got the juices flowing and back at the bench.

I bet the Mossie isn't too far away.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I have most of the other side decaled now.  I don't want to knock a product but I don't think I would use these Canuck decals again. They are WAY too thin. Miserable to lay down. Thank god I had sections of a Leading Edge sheet here to steel from because I hosed up the Canada decal on the intake, it folded on itself about three times when sliding off the carrier backing and impossible to bring back. I also hosed up the canopy releases decal for the same reason. The weapons load panel tore while sliding off the backing (red square panel under the canopy)  you can see it's missing a corner.  It's unfortunate because they are very well researched and have great instructions but they are border line not even usable, if you don't soak the gloss coat liberally with water they lock down in the place they slide off onto and refuse to move.  Very, very frustrating to use.

Anyway slowly getting there.

1SRQu0O.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Ron

Nice work on suffering through the decals. I never understood how a company can do all their homework, produce a beautiful set of decals and markings, then not test them to make sure they are easy to apply.

Holy Cow, looking forward to the two bucket 104 for sure.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Sorry to hear about the decals. Are you going to fix the missing corner on the decal -- it sticks out a bit on an otherwise, flawlessly looking build.

I will for sure after it dries. I took the pick shortly after laying it down,  all the red decals are also out of register so the white shows through some edges and have to fix that too.

That really looks sharp, Ron! Really suprising to hear the difficulties with the Canuck decals. Reviews I've read are favorable, though maybe they were never applied. Are you going to hang any ordnance?

Don

Yes, it is strange that the decals are so hard to use and for those that don't know me I didn't fall off the turnip truck last week. I've been modeling for about 40 years now and these decals are extremely delicate to use. They turn to almost gelatin consistency in seconds once exposed to water.

No ordnance,  I don't have pylons in any of my kits. A shame because it would add more eye candy.

Ron

I personally do not like any ordnance as they detract from the lines of an aircraft -- particularly this one, but this one looks a bit incomplete without the wingtip fuel pods or whatever they're called. I'll have to get me one of these kits.

Is your experience out of the norm with Canuck decals? 

Thanks for the honest opinion on the decals, although you managed a beautiful save. Seeing the work you've done before, it certainly isn't because of a lack of experience or skill. Hopefully the other set will work out better.

Geez, the '104 really is a gorgeous aircraft, especially with the Maple Leaf...and so is what you've done with this kit.

Edited by R Palimaka

The Dull coat is down, now it's time for some minor weathering and final approach.  The glass bits are just placed on but it's clear that Hasegawa want the canopy open as they don't fit closed? I'll have to persuade it to submission.  This has been a fun build, it has my mojo back!

xWDYZCT.jpg

zKo5jdU.jpg

mZBDD9K.jpg

Q6Dy1g8.jpg