Fieseler Storch in Swiss service

Dukie99

Hi guys,

Thank you for the kind words. The build has been stalled for a week while I was waiting for some Montex masks. There was no way to mask all this canopy (especially the interior) without some mask, I value my sanity (or at least my wife does). Montex mask are made of black vinyl and they fit very well. 30 minutes of work et voilà:

canopy2_zpsgmyevt3f.jpg

I then sprayed RLM02 inside and outside, sprayed a coat of matt varnish and removed the inside mask before adding the remaining Eduard details for inside the canopy:

canopy_zpsdguoz1g8.jpg

I then proceeded to glue the canopy to the fuselage. As the canopy is also holding the wings, I used clear 5 minutes epoxy to get a a strong bond. the main canopy fits well, the real bear is fitting the lower side panels, I had to do a fair bit of sanding before getting an acceptable fit, then glued them with clear epoxy. I then add to do some more sanding and add some filing to the joints, but I think it turned out OK, but I will know for sure when I will remove the outside canopy masks. I then primed the entire Airframe with Tamiya White gloss so serve as a base for the yellow:

primer_zps20qqod3t.jpg

I will give it a good day or two to cure before spraying the yellow.

In the meantime, I have finished assembling the engine. It is OOB with different shares of Alclad and Tamiya gloss black. Most of it will be hidden, so I will no detail it more:

engine_zpshrnuwagn.jpg

And finally a shot of the bits and pieces which I have painted before assembly:

parts_zpsj6k3m5hv.jpg

Getting there. Thank you for following this build.

David

Looking good! Masks sure are useful! :)

HÃ¥kan

Agreed, especially since most of your glasswork comprises flat panels, but the thick Montex vinyl isn't so good for some tight internal compound curves.

Max

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress at last, but it has been a frustrating period: Until I finished painting the entire airframe gloss and the front in red and installed the engine everything went well. Then I tried to apply the Mike Grant decal... They look great but they are extremely fragile and you get no spare in the set. Needless to say that I trashed one roundel on the first try, then I proceeded to trash another roundel. So I had to chase another set of decal all over the internet and they are not cheap unfortunately. Finally a new set arrived, I proceeded to apply the roundels and finally succeeded but barely, the first roundel teared but I managed to put it back together and you don't notice it... nerve racking. I am now waiting for the roundels to settle down and then I will apply a gloss coat to seal them. Funny thing is that took the momentum out of the build and now I just want to be done and move to the next project.

Decal_zpsyxl4gvjm.jpg

Hopefully I can be done over the week-end.

Till next time,

David

Thank you Max. They seem to settle well but I see that I will have some touch up to do on the tail. In restrospect I should have painted the roundels and tail marking but I did not have any masks and I have not yet taken the step of producing my own mask. One day maybe.  David

That looks wonderful and very colorful.  

Im not sure what you paid for the 2nd decal sheet, but for roughly the price of those two decals sheets + or  a Tamiya LSP  Mustang (or less), you could have your very own Portrait Silhouette mask cutter, and some mask material to go with it.

I have not even used mine for any of my own models yet, and mine has already paid for itself in ease of use and products I have helped with, and cut for others. VERY worthwhile little device.

This Swiss service Storch scheme seems like it would be a breeze to make on the Portrait cutter.  

Edited by Out2gtcha