Beaufighter 252 Squadron 1942

Bill_S

Upright duct bent and cement in place. My reference shows a wrap on the duct; I used 2.5 mm Kobuki tape.

DSCN1306%5B1%5D.jpg

First coat: Tamiya Buff (XF-57). It's still very wet in this photo. Once dry, I see if it needs to be lightened a bit. A wash, then some lead foil straps, and another piece is in the books.

DSCN1308%5B1%5D.jpg

Tamiya retarder is good stuff!

Edited by Bill_S

The scratch building work is amazing, Bill, especially like the insulated piping. Starting to look at these old kits like i look at vacforms, empty shells to fill with scratch built goodies.

Don

Don, I never thought it until your comment, but you're right. This kit just has an IM shell.

Why do vacs frighten me so?

Vacforms intimidate me, the shell seems more flexible and featureless plus they need a lot of scratch building. Injection mouldings are more solid and familiar, if i could scratch build better i would take on some of these older kits. The Beaufighter and Mosquito would be most appealing, don't know if there are any other twins from this era moulded.

Don

Vacforms intimidate me, the shell seems more flexible and featureless plus they need a lot of scratch building. Injection mouldings are more solid and familiar, if i could scratch build better i would take on some of these older kits. The Beaufighter and Mosquito would be most appealing, don't know if there are any other twins from this era moulded.

Don

Off the top of my head, the Revell P-38 and Bf 110

Excellent work Bill in building up the interior, it really looks the part. On the subject of candles and sprue, I was reading Harry Woodman's informative book about building scale model aircraft in plastic card, ie scratch building, he says "the best heat source is a clean flame such as a gas jet......as a last resort an ordinary domestic candle can be used." Now I've always used a candle because it's so convenient but acting on Harry's wise words I tried a chef's blow torch. The flame of course is much fiercer but after getting used to it I found the control in bending and stretching sprue to the shape and width that I wanted to be so much more achievable.

Max

Edited by mozart