Revell Mustang III

CANicoll

Ok, finally got the hobby stuff unpacked (mostly) but especially the airbrush and paint booth.  Decided to go with a simple kit to see how it turns out - Revell's Mustang III in 1/32nd.  

DSC_0004_zps1sjc58kx.jpg

I am kind of surprised at all of the detail molded in to the wheel wells, engine and cockpit. I'm not doing the engine, keeping it closed but was also going to shut the flaps over the wheel well but rethinking that plan.

DSC_0003_zps0pkheucq.jpg

Same with the instrument panel.  Building this OOB so I may just have to break out the fine point brushes.

DSC_0005_zpsqd5169rp.jpg

But I have run into one snag that I'd love to get your opinions on:

Using Tamiya primer, and this happened:

DSC_0001_zpsq6tgdlty.jpg

DSC_0002_zps47ax0mwg.jpg

I carefully washed all plastic parts before.  What did I do wrong?  I will admit, the can is probably a few years old.

Thanks!
Chris

I had something similar happen with a Tamiya yellow (no other color, just yellow) through the airbrush, but rather than mess with it I left it and the next day it laid down perfectly.  But with the primer, its not going to do that.  And this was from the rattle can too that I shook very very well.

And with the Revell kit, all of those rivets are raised, so not so easy to sand and respray.  Mmmm... This will be interesting!

Making steady progress on the Mustang.  I have to say, given how few pieces there are in this kit it is coming together pretty well.  How is it that a $12 kit from 1980 has a better fit than the KittyHawk P-39 from just a couple of years ago?  Amazing.

Anyway:

DSC_0334_zpsysnqd6ob.jpg

Got the cockpit assembled but with the pilot in place you will not see much of the sidewall detail (or any of the very strange 2 part seat).

DSC_0336_zpslwdky3fr.jpg

DSC_0331_zpskgmsqx72.jpg

DSC_0332_zpsui17ggmr.jpg

Also working on the wheel well but still have not decided how much detail I want to put under there.  Am very surprised at this kit.  Yes, I know about the wing issues and all of that, but for a quick build that still has a pretty good amount of detail to highlight - I'm pretty pleased with it.

I keep peeking on Peters' Mossie and loving ALL the detail and excellent work going into that fantastic build.  What this $12 Mustang III does is get me back in the model making mood again.  It's FUN!   :popcorn:

Figured out the 'problem' with the primer:  My application.  In some areas I was laying it down far too wet/thick.  I just did the fuselage and wings and accidentally got the can too close to the nose and this is exactly what it looked like.  For the wings where I was very careful, no problems at all, or elsewhere on the fuselage.

My bad.  Live and learn!!

Pictures coming tomorrow I hope! 

Sprayed the rest of the plane with the Tamiya primer and it came out much better.  Went ahead and have sprayed the bottom gray and the top darker gray in probably the exact opposite pattern I should have. Oh well!

I  purposely varied the under wing coat to deliver an inconsistent finish - not sure how much it comes out in the photos

DSC_0343_zpsawmnsd7i.jpg

And am doing the same on top.  I think I got the gray a LITTLE too dark, but we will see how it looks vs the green which I'm planning on shooting this afternoon.  Have a business trip for a week so it will have plenty of time to dry.

DSC_0338_zpsrj65kdic.jpg

All freehand at this point but will see how it all works shortly.  One thing I have noticed when I was dry fitting everything together is the top wing root seam is nice and tight.  There seems to be about a 1mm gap on the underside at the front of the wing/fuselage join but that is easy enough to fix up.

Got the pilot painted as well so coming together.

Quick update.  Well, I was not a careful with the blue-tac as I should have been so have some borders showing between the colors.  oops!  Will have to do some re-shooting when I get back from my trip. I guess I tried to finesse it a bit too much.  

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys,  Been working but not taking a lot of pictures so figure it was time to catch up.

I've been working on the camo paint job, and got a few of the decals on.  The edges like to silver, despite MULTIPLE coats of Solvaset (yeah the hot stuff) but getting the decals to sit down on the raised rivets is a real chore.  

DSC_0436_zpso7susqla.jpg

I worked over the decals with a stiff bristle brush to get the decal down onto the rivets.  In the meantime, the decal also picked up a worn appearance which is perfect so I kept at it.  I like the effect.  

DSC_0437_zps7irwcjsn.jpg

DSC_0438_zpsxg1jztlt.jpg

Maybe tomorrow, but more likely Friday will finish the decaling the wings and fuselage. 

DSC_0439_zpsupk2w2dz.jpg

I'm still kind of impressed with how well this kit fits together.  I've not fully attached the top wings but the fit is actually pretty tight, I will have to do some adjusting.

Oh, and look what showed up today!

DSC_0434_zpsnzegxher.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my US friends.  To the everyone else, have a good week!

Nice build of a very old kit. Oh, by the way, that kit is much older than 1980. I built it when I was a young kid in the early 1970's so it's at least 46 years old. I think it's a little older than that, closer to 50 but I'm not really sure.

Edited by Juggernut

After almost passing out from too much turkey and all, went back to work on the Mustang.  Kinda figured out how to get the decals to really lay down over the rivets.  It involves a lot of solvaset, and a short-bristled brush to carefully work the decal down over the rivets.  Pics are kinda blurry but maybe I'll post anyway.

Here is the in-process pics:

DSC_0002_zpspexyu41f.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsdadhskvl.jpg

I was a bit worried about putting the red dot decal over the white, but it settled down really well:

DSC_0028_zps4beijggp.jpg

I figured out if I put a base of Solvaset down, then the decal, then more Solvaset on top, the decal worked really well.  But there were always air bubbles, hence the short bristled brush to work out the bubbles, and push the decal down over the rivets.  They are WAY over scale, but what the heck.

DSC_0014_zps5aosnob0.jpg

Been working on the stencils then need to clear coat again after they dry, and keep working on the landing gear and the canopy.

This has been fun, actually!