Detailing kits for HKM B-17G

CyberGolem

As I told, all this stuff is not cheap if you want a large part of the available items. It will not be easy to get discounts for most of them except the Eduard sets for which I saw huge price differences... I did not pay more than 180 euros for all the resin, the big Ed 1, the landing gear and external sets! Even in Europe, I should have paid at least the double! So keep your eyes opened!

Forget the flaps. They were always closed on the ground except during landings and specific maintenance. They were too easily damaged. So, the procedures to comply with were clear regarding that aspect. Moreover, the set is the most expensive one and it is quite difficult to assemble. Last, if you think getting the Big Ed set 2 is a good way to save money to get them, this is wrong as Eduard includes the technical placards set that is useless as all of them are already included in the internal detail sets!

Hth

Thierry

Wow - great list there CyberGolem - thanks for the work in putting together for us!

Lots of good detail sets there but wow the $$$ can really get out of hand!! :)

NP, but the credit actually belongs to Thierry. Without his initial input I would've never found links for all these gems.

~Chaz

Take a look at my build. I used every PE set except the flaps. I also used the Profimodeller LG and the Brassin wheels. I don't think the engines are necessary as the kit engines build up really nice, especially with the added PE. When I build the new F model, I will use all of the same sets. In addition to the fun that is PE, I think they really add a lot to the model.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53093&hl=

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=55650&hl=

Take a look at my build. I used every PE set except the flaps. I also used the Profimodeller LG and the Brassin wheels. I don't think the engines are necessary as the kit engines build up really nice, especially with the added PE. When I build the new F model, I will use all of the same sets. In addition to the fun that is PE, I think they really add a lot to the model.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=53093&hl=

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=55650&hl=

Holy Bombers Batman! That's amazing. Nice work Scott, but I have to hate you—just a little—for raising the bar so friggin' high :)

Edited by CyberGolem

There is one thing that puzzles me: the diameter of the oxygen tubes and the size of the large oxygen bottles... It seems each manufacturer measured different items...

This asks for checking closely.

Interesting, especially since I would never have noticed. Would you mind sharing what's wrong with them?

Well, I just see a clear difference.

However, I need first to find the correct dimensions and compare the HK, Resin2detail and Master Detail O2 bottles. My eyes are telling me that shapewise the most accurate ones are probably the Resin2detail ones but this requires confirmation. I also think that the Master oxygen tubes are on the thin side and I will probably use the MDC ones. However, this is just a visual feeling again. Note I do not think the possible bottle discrepancy is a major problem as most of the big bottles are barely visible.

In any case, the Master Detail O2 is really recommended as it gives a lot of nice parts with decals for a reasonable price. Combined with Eduard parts and some scratchbuilt parts here and there, this is a good way to get a very accurate replica, more particularly in the most visible areas.

Thierry

If I had two recommend two additional items for B-17 builders, this would be two tools:

- a scraper such as the Mission models tool or the medium one of the straigth tip type from Trumpeter

- a fiberglass tip scraping pen (the one with the small diameter tip)

The combination of such tools is the easiest way to clean all the mold ejection marks located on the fuselages halves interior, bomb bay doors and between the intricate details of the bulkheads. Eduard is solving part of the problem. But even if you use the photoetched sets, you still have to find a solution for more than half of them...

This gives a clean and reasonably quick result.

Hth

Thierry

The head should be straigth and perpendicular to the handle to remove thin flat slices of plastic. All other heads will create more damage than solving anything! You should use the scraper in a vertical motion when you look at the fuselage: from top to bottom or vice- versa. Never horizontally! Even if you are very cautious, this will leave some small vertical scratches. This is why you need the pen in a second step. Using it horizontally (essentially but not only!) will blur and remove such scratches up to a sufficiently smooth status to paint it to replicate a natural metal finish.

Note I used that technique on kits not only for protruding ejection marks but also for recessed ones. The final difference is just the resulting rectangle between the stringers and bulkheads is a little bit deeper in the second case. This is not noticeable. However, for those that may be worried by that, simply add a disk of plastic before all the scraping operations.

Hth

Thierry

Thanks Thierry. Your input is well-received since I found an variety of different type of scrapers and was wondering which would work best. On a similar vein I ran across these seam scrapers as well. Given that they can second as a radius gauge, they will probably end up on my workbench ::

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Military-model-s-optimal-velocity-U-Star-special-clamping-wire-scraper-UA-0019/32580052871.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.323.Dqun1F&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_1&btsid=1443e61d-3eac-4105-8c29-b0de29dc3fd8

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/U-Star-up-to-model-special-clamping-wire-scraper-UA-0020/32580923913.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.152.Dqun1F&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2,searchweb201603_1&btsid=1443e61d-3eac-4105-8c29-b0de29dc3fd8

Here's a review of these by Flory Models :: 

~Chaz