1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat - "Rage 207"

DoogsATX

Been getting some good paintwork in over the past two days. Though I will say the underside of this particular Tomcat is a challenge to pull off. 

Tamiya%20F-14A%2011-26-16-1-X3.jpg

Tamiya%20F-14A%2011-26-16-2-X3.jpg

Why the stripes on the tanks? Reference pic shows paint worn/scraped down to the primer. So...chipping...

Tamiya%20F-14A%2011-26-16-4-X3.jpg

Tamiya%20F-14A%2011-26-16-6-X3.jpg

Small update from the other night - finally got the heat shields sorted - tough shades to approach. Ultimately I went with a mix of Alclad Steel, Jet Exhaust and Pale Burnt Metal, and then a mix of Steel and Magnesium for the "flat" portion beneath the rudder.

Exhaust nozzles are just placed to get a sense of things - they still need to be painted and weathered and will be installed on the proper sides when the time comes. 

IMG_20161127_005808-X3.jpg

MOAR work! 

One thing I'm thinking through is...how to tackle the grimy streaking that's seen on the portion of the wings that sweep into the fuselage? 

By holding a pencil against them as I moved them across their sweep, I got some good circle arcs, which I used to help plot out the radius. 

IMG_20161129_235223-X3.jpg

I then outlined both wings. The idea is that I'll fix a post at the circle's center point, then fix *something* to it by string, and use that to portray the sweep grime with the proper arcs. 

IMG_20161129_235329-X3.jpg

Also got started building in different tones to the upper Dark Ghost Gray. This new tone is Gunze DGG mixed with 25% Neutral Gray and maybe 5-10% Black. 

IMG_20161130_013843-X3.jpg

Stay tuned!

I saw a build where the modeler used a q-tip (cotton bud to you outside the US) dipped in a weathering solution and held it in on spot on the foward swept wing and pivoted the wing to full sweep, leaving an arc of weathering.  He then swung the wing forward again, moved the q-tip back (aft) to slightly overlap the previous path and swung the wing back to full sweep.  Rinsed and repeated until the entire sweep section was nicely arc'd with no muss, no fuss.  If I can find the article (I think it may have been on ARC), I'll post a link.  I should also say that the guy masked off the rest of the wing not subject to sweep wear so that he wouldn't...you know.

Edited by Juggernut

I did something similar in my Hasegawa tomcat. I used a cotton bud/q-tip and "tethered" it to a rod with Tamiya tape. The rod was located at the pivot point for the wing, and the non-swept area was masked.

I used the tape tether to "sweep" the cotton bud in a circular arc, then shortened the length of the arc by wrapping more of the tape "tether" around the rod. Rubbish description, I hope it makes sense.

Jim

Ps Matt - awesome work and well photographed too.

Edited by ClumsyDude

Further tonal variation up top - a bit of Light Ghost Gray

IMG_20161201_005016-X3.jpg

And on the underside, I wasn't happy with my initial staining, so I went back at it with a mix of Gunze Neutral Gray, Khaki and Mahogany. Seems a much closer interpretation of the way Rage 207 actually appeared. 

Tamiya%20F-14%20120116-1-X3.jpg

Tamiya%20F-14%20120116-2-X3.jpg