1/48 Tamiya F-14A Tomcat - "Rage 207"

DoogsATX

I've actually had some thoughts on that: https://doogsmodels.com/2016/11/16/tamiyas-new-tomcat-not-the-second-coming/

Honestly, the kit's far and away best aspect is in the fit and engineering. Those are simply astonishing. Detail-wise, it ranges from good to average, and unlike their 1/32 releases, doesn't really bring anything new or superlative. I'd put the cockpit and gearbay detail behind their 2007 F-16. 

To me, the fit and engineering are reason enough to have a go at it - especially when the aftermarket is going to swoop in over the next several months and address most of the shortcomings. 

Careful, though. Saying this kit is merely very good, and not out and out great, has already brought storms of criticism down on my head. 

While this is a very good kit, it's also a very frustrating one to cover from a WIP write-up perspective. Maybe it's just the nature of the F-14? But there's lots of jumping around. For instance I need to do some seam cleanup on the nose, but I Figure it makes sense to attach the windscreen first, but that requires that I paint the IP coaming and install the HUD lens and...

IMG_20161117_014903-X3.jpg

Last night's main task was tinting the windscreen. The kit calls for X-23 Clear Blue. Pics look more Clear Green. I opted to mix the two for a green-blue and went very thin. 

IMG_20161117_015037-X3.jpg

Also got paint on the IP coaming - I wish the folds/etc of the covers were better represented, but I'm considering canopy closed on this one, so trying not to sweat it. Color is Gunze Flat Black with a bit of Red Brown added - there's a lot of variability in these across reference pics but this seems to match some fade patterns I've seen. FICE!

IMG_20161117_015002-X3.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Nice progress on the Big cat. Your solution to the front windscreen color seems to be dead on the money.

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

looks good! Curious about the statement that using Tamiya extra thin cement causes joins that do not cure - do they ever cure or remain mushy/weak? That is really odd to say the least!

They cure, it just can take a while. Normally I can just hold a join for thirty seconds or a minute and keep going, but here it's more like five minutes. MEK has no such issues.

More jumping around! This time, ordnance. 

I've been planning to swap in some Eduard Sparrows, since Tamiya only tosses in AIM-7Es and Fs and I need AIM-7Ms. But comparing the detail between the kit plastic and the Eduard resin...there's no comparison.

IMG_20161118_013126-X3.jpg

And they fit nicely, too - though I'm still going to be drilling a hole for a mounting peg to match the mounting setup Tamiya's using. 

IMG_20161118_013003-X3.jpg

TBH, I don't think the kit parts are all that bad...Nice progress.

Honestly if they were Ms I'd probably use them. 

They aren't up to par with what Great Wall and AMK have managed to pull off with their missiles - but they're definitely better than what you'd pull out of a Hasegawa weapons set. 

And the AIM-9s are nice enough that I'm using them. 

Finally crossed the Rubicon last night...wrapped up the primer:

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-24-16-1-X3.jpg

And got started in on the paint - beginning with a marble coat of MRP Dark Ghost Gray. This is but the first of many different shades the Tamiyacat will be receiving. 

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-24-16-4-X3.jpg

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-24-16-6-X3.jpg

Tamiya%20F-14A%20-%2011-24-16-7-X3.jpg

One fun bit here...looking at two separate photos of the same plane...the paint touchups on one are lighter than the DGG, and on the other they're significantly darker. 

F-14A_VF-24_right_side_view_with_AIM-7s_

14523105_1865380080348443_80712528059971

There's been some theorizing that it's reflectivity - but I'm not buying that since the obviously-lighter-gray touchups show up in other VF-24 photos. 

photo_90878.jpg

So that's a thing I need to sort before I proceed with the rest of the upper surfaces. 

Honestly if they were Ms I'd probably use them. 

They aren't up to par with what Great Wall and AMK have managed to pull off with their missiles - but they're definitely better than what you'd pull out of a Hasegawa weapons set. 

And the AIM-9s are nice enough that I'm using them. 

I was puzzled that Tamiya seem to provide 8 Sparrows for a plane that can only carry 4, and then I noticed that two of the sparrows have a longer slot in them and a longer waveguide (?) to be glued in place.  Would these be AIM-7Ms?

Jens

I was puzzled that Tamiya seem to provide 8 Sparrows for a plane that can only carry 4, and then I noticed that two of the sparrows have a longer slot in them and a longer waveguide (?) to be glued in place.  Would these be AIM-7Ms?

Jens

Forgetting where I saw it referenced now, but I believe those are AIM-7Fs.