Roden Bird Dog and Skymaster

ZachP319

I'll be willing to bet we'll soon see the A/M guys all over this neat little airplane .Props. landing gear ,interiors . Lots of great things with the new decals from AOA leading off

Why always rely on the AM guys? Looking at the pics of the real a/c, super-detailing the interior should be within the capabilities of the average modeller. Try it, you'd be amazed!

Why always rely on the AM guys? Looking at the pics of the real a/c, super-detailing the interior should be within the capabilities of the average modeller. Try it, you'd be amazed!

Thanks, I plan to .  AM stuff is for dressing her a little bit , the kit itself looks very,very nice 

Looks quite nice (hopefully the overall size and shape is good).

Given the moulding techniques used for these types of short run injection moulded kits, it is to be expected that many of the parts will be simplified by necessity and the kit will probably not be a straight forward build.

However, this kit looks to be pretty comprehensive and I am delighted to see it kitted in 1/32 scale.

Derek

Got mine today (2 kits) from Sprue Brothers.  I'll let the "pro" reviewers do their thing but I can say that I am a bit disappointed.  I started to assemble the engine and discovered that all the characteristics that Roden has had in the past on the WW1 kits are unfortunately present on this kit.  Locator holes and pegs that are not the same size; soft, cheese-like consistency of the plastic; some incomplete mold fills (air intake) and some mold slippage (prop shaft and some engine bits); decals that look like the yellow will be translucent and instruction diagrams that hint at where parts are to go rather than clearly indicating locations/angles.

Oddly enough on one of kits the bag containing the sprues had been opened and there were a couple of loose clear parts in the box.  The box was factory sealed when I received it so maybe there was a quality issue corrected at the last moment?  I did not discover anything missing.

All in all, the kit is pretty standard Roden (for better or worse) and will be a challenge to bring to a satisfactory completion IMHO.  I am going to try to finish these but will wait for the AOA decals before committing any more effort.

Edited by OldTroll

Hi All Birddog' fan

Just received one directly from Ukraine today (through eBay)

And after first exam, for sure I'll buy an other one, a quick review to MY eyes:

Fuselage, wings: nice engraving panel lines without any rivets.

Some dihedral to the main wing but not enough, and needs certainly reinforced struts..

Small parts are really with nice engraving with enough détails for a from the box.

Can't resist to show you that loved 'kit...(fingers are here to scale comparison and sorry, difficult to hold parts together without any locating point...))

DSCN16171_zps32nhjilh.jpg

DSCN16181_zpsfkyqljll.jpg

DSCN16191_zpspa0cut2p.jpg

DSCN16201_zpsdj9qnzub.jpg

DSCN16221_zpszmxnoeab.jpg

DSCN16171_zps32nhjilh.jpg

DSCN16231_zpshkg7qqyd.jpg

She really looks like a BirdDog!

Thanks to Roden!

raf