Update-2/13/20-1/16, M1A1HA Abrams, w/ TUSK I upgrades

Barry

40 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

WOW! I missed this before, but now I'm going to have to read the whole thread. Truly amazing detail work. Like if Peter Castle did armor kind of good.

Thanks Tim,

To have my work compared to Pete's is a compliment beyond expectation!

Barry

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Thanks Tim,

To have my work compared to Pete's is a compliment beyond expectation!

Barry

I meant it, sir! There are very few modelers out there who have the skill to attain this level of detail AND quality. Most impressive!!

I am particularly interested in the Abrams right now, as I remember a neighbor and friend who died of ALS last week at the age of 60. He commanded a USMCR M1A1 Abrams in the first Gulf War, Bravo Company, 4th Tank Battalion, 4th MARDIV, but attached to the 2nd MARDIV. His tank driver is also a good friend. Their company was the star of the "Reveille Engagement" as part of the Battle of the Kuwait Airport, when they destroyed 35 enemy tanks in 90 seconds. He was a fantastic guy and a born leader. He later became the company, then battalion, CO before retiring as a Lt. Colonel, and went on to be elected the County Sheriff of the county in which I live.

He would have loved to have seen this!! Seeing stuff like this keeps our memories of great friends like that alive.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear about your friend. He sounds like a honorable man with a warrior's when needed.

I am considering donating the model to the 3rd ID Museum just down the road.....after I play with it for a while.

Barry

Barry , I do believe you are working at the  Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant and this not a model but a fully detailed protype.

I cannot be happier you are showing us the skills to do so also.

But are we suppose to be seeing all this Classified pictures??

Jason 

3 hours ago, USMC Herc said:

Barry , I do believe you are working at the  Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant and this not a model but a fully detailed protype.

I cannot be happier you are showing us the skills to do so also.

But are we suppose to be seeing all this Classified pictures??

Jason 

LOL!!! Jason,

I had a boss that told everyone in his org. that if someone had an idea that work "by all means steal shamelessly". If anything I do is helpful to others then please feel free to steal shamelessly!

As for the classified pics just don't tell anyone. ;)

I've sent you a PM, I blew the P.O. mission. :(

I also missed seeing this up until now, glad I came across it, that is simply outstanding work Barry!

Its another one of those models that will be almost a shame to put paint on it.

Masterpiece in the making here.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Every time I hear the word Tusk, I immediately think of Fleetwood Mac. I like what I see so far. As much as I like big armor, German stuff in particular, I could never see myself doing this much work on anything. Keep cranking.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Every time I hear the word Tusk, I immediately think of Fleetwood Mac. I like what I see so far. As much as I like big armor, German stuff in particular, I could never see myself doing this much work on anything. Keep cranking.

;)

Thanks Kevin!

Commander’s Cupola and 50cal. Mount

I’ve been finalizing the details and assembling as much as possible until paint.

EYxgj21.jpg

9JkIhsQ.jpg

tWhbGnT.jpg

8EJacsB.jpg

The 50cal. mount is standard fair for the M1A1 with the addition of the Thermal Imager. The Imager installation requires a modified/new mount for the Equilibrator (counterbalance for the 50cal.) to facilitate the mounting of the Imager.

gMEZjeO.jpg

G8N7W2H.jpg

Thermal Imager has an electrical harness with connector that connects at the base of the left mount arm. It has a Snap-On type connector and the small wire bail is used to disconnect by pulling up on the bail.

ywhGRMq.jpg

The 50cal. is a remotely triggered by a Solenoid via a Pivot Arm that depresses the trigger. It can be seen at the aft end of the mount. It is wired in at the base next to the Imager electrical connector.

FcVwhFd.jpg

There are two set of weapon mounting pins one for the 50cal. and the other for the M240 7.62. They are secured to the mount with chain.

wrRasLt.jpg

There are Iron Sights mount beneath the weapon mount. The Tank Commander sights by viewing them through his forward periscope block.

tgFksxa.jpg

fu6CMN8.jpg

The hatch is fully functional including the ability to set it in the “Open Hide” position. In this position the T.C. can see out without exposing himself. However, with the Armored Surround of the T.U.S.K fit prevents him seeing much if anything.

C03A1ak.jpg

x9bMQ4Q.jpg

The small “T” shaped handle operates the latch that locks the hatch so that it does not pivot forward and holds it for the Open Hide position.

qTwqv15.jpg

Working on the Armor Surround for the TC's Station.

Thanks for looking in!

TTFN,

Barry

• Barry changed the title to Update-2/13/20-1/16, M1A1HA Abrams, w/ TUSK I upgrades