1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless

DoogsATX

211 friggin' days on the bench - finally calling this one done. 

Overall, it was a rather enjoyable build and my biggest hassle with the kit was of my own making - the decision to use Eduard's PE not only for the dive flaps, but for the center flap housing. Cutting away the plastic and fitting that assembly probably stole a good month of bench nights. There were a few other detail frustrations to overcome (gear door supports etc), but the only other real challenging aspect was the stacked canopies - which do not want to stack. After thinning them down from the inside early in the build, they still would only sit properly on the aircraft with strong adhesive. I tried a few possibilities but finally had to use gel CA. It worked - but there's some very minor fogging on one of the sandwiched canopies that just cannot be reached in any way shape or form. Can't win them all - but it certainly makes me wish there was a vacform option available. 

Aftermarket was relatively minimal (for me). Largely because there's just not much to be had. HGW four-point harness up front, gunner's belts made from strips taken from a $1 bill. Master barrels for the twin .30s. Eduard PE for the dive flaps, gear doors and wing bomb racks. Montex masks for the markings. 

Paint was a mishmash of things, but primarily Mr. Paint and Gunze Mr. Color. 

The painting process will be covered in an upcoming issue of Weathering Aircraft. Otherwise, WIP thread is here: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61284&page=1

SBD-5%20Dauntless%2010-13-16%20FINAL-23-

SBD-5%20Dauntless%2010-13-16%20FINAL-7-X

SBD-5%20Dauntless%2010-13-16%20FINAL-35-

Ive read this build log yesterday.

In the approach in painting to acheive that result...many techniques involved.

The result speaks for itself.....it looks fantastic, and it very well ballanced weathering and wear and tear, chipping.

High numbers from me om this one.

I like it. You have got a really nice sheen to the final coat, not too matt and not too glossy. Very realistic finish.

Only one question, why no weight on the wheels?

Eric.

Yeah, Dauntlesses don't seem to have undergone the crazy fading and flattening that the island Corsairs did. At least the SBD-5s that is. Plenty of -3s can be found considerably worse for wear.

As for the tires - vinyl. Only resin I was aware of until literally yesterday was from Mastercasters, and I've not been impressed by their stuff in the past. Their P-47 tires were way too skinny and not even round.

That really is fantastic.  The paint and basic "patina" are to my eye, perfect.

Very, very well done.

I have to admit...like others...that I am a bit bothered by the non-flat spotted tires.  It sort of shatters the illusion of a substantial, heavy object.  Nonetheless, I sure wish that model was sitting in my display case.

Edited by Bryan

As for the tires - vinyl. Only resin I was aware of until literally yesterday was from Mastercasters, and I've not been impressed by their stuff in the past. Their P-47 tires were way too skinny and not even round.

You are a talented man Doogz, you should learn how to copy stuff in resin and make your own wheels! Just simple copies of the kit tires would do. C'mon mate, getting that thing looking like it has been loaded to the hilt would turn a really impressive model into a killer! I have also flat spotted Trumpeter tires by slicing them with a new No. 11 blade. Works a treat.

Eric.