Drummers of LSP, say hi and show off

Shawn M

Seems like we have a lot of drummers on the forum.

Instead of fowling ours and others build threads with discussion, lets use this thread to chit chat, show off our kits, etc.

So here we go:

My first ever brand new kit

13157739995_1094b39fb1_b.jpg

The kit I traded in on the Gretsch:

12700471165_a9dab9fba9_b.jpg

The Kit I restored to trade for the Sonors

6971530715_b072bf1fa9_b.jpg

The kit I saved from the trash, found on the curb downtown.

69 Ludwigs, 3 ply, clear maple interiors with re-rings

15703752602_7e85dcc422_b.jpg

I have a little cymbal addiction, this doesn't show them all as Im up to 30+ now

Primarily Zildjians (first stamps, K's, etc) but I also have 2 Lauritsen Kontro Rides I adore

9026472446_b14975516d_b.jpg

I own and run a studio in my house and play pick up gigs with friends bands as well as a few of my own projects.

Cool thread! Like to see more. My only rock and roll fantasy is that I did sound for a local band for about 4 years. Got tired of traveling and gave it up. But had a blast.....Harv

My Mapex Saturn V kit that I got new, earlier this year. I've since added a couple of cymbals and switched them around a little bit and I also have an 8" tom on order. It's a work in progress. :D

20160229_132730_zpszsng4sqc.jpg

20160304_170416_zpsdb4ihy5f.jpg

20160304_202618_zpsrh10werk.jpg

20160307_114210_zpsjhpp3ogn.jpg

I also still have my old, black, Tama Rockstar kit, which is still at church. The same 10, 12, 14, 16 inch configuration, although the smallest three are slightly different in depth than the newer drums (deeper rack toms and the 14, which was intended as more of a rack tom than floor tom, is 12" deep instead of 14x14").

Shawn,

Is that a Catalina Club kit? I've also been watching those really close, as I would love to have a smaller, more traditional/vintage style kit to mess around with and the Club series, being mahogany shells, really capture that sound.

Great thread!

John

EDIT: WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD THROW AWAY A SET OF '69 LUDWIGS??? :o :o :o :doh:

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Very nice, John. I'm a big fan of the DW pedals too.

Thanks, Kevin. They are fantastic. However, I ran into a problem with them. My feet are a size 13 and the footboards are pretty short. That wouldn't be so bad, but the sprockets are on the large side, as well and would catch my toes. I ended up selling the 3000 double pedal and bought a Mapex 800 series. It's just as smooth and I like the adjustments on it, but the beaters don't seem to have quite the same "reach" to the head, so I'm thinking of trying more traditional (and hopefully larger) beaters. I still kept my 3000 series hi hat stand, though. This is actually my second one. The first being on my church kit and that's the one that hooked me. I'm not sure if you can beat it for the price and the moveable two leg option is great (wish they would have had something like that when I was gigging heavy, 20 years ago!).

John

I always had problems keeping my feet on the boards, John, not real sure why. On a set I had many, many years ago (Rogers), the Swiv-O-Matic bass pedal actually had a strap added to it, much like you'd find on skates. This strap would prevent my foot walking off the board, and was just wonderful. My Dynasonic snare (COB), was also one of the better snare drums I ever owned.

John, gorgeous set!

Yes that is a Catalina club, 24, 13,16.

I changed out the "stock" iso mount on the tom for one from the Renknown series as it MUCH better.

I love them, great tone, finish and surprisingly light...especially compared to the cast iron Sonors.

And yeah, one mans trash is another mans treasure. When I got those luddy's they were gross, smelled bad and were begging for love.

Edited by Shawn M

I always had problems keeping my feet on the boards, John, not real sure why. On a set I had many, many years ago (Rogers), the Swiv-O-Matic bass pedal actually had a strap added to it, much like you'd find on skates. This strap would prevent my foot walking off the board, and was just wonderful. My Dynasonic snare (COB), was also one of the better snare drums I ever owned.

I know some pedals have toe stops, which are nice. Mine don't. One of the biggest problems I'm having is that I can't really play "heel up" anymore. I have too many screws and plates in my feet to do things like I could when I was younger. So, when i get to playing faster/harder, my feet tend to slide forward a bit and that's where the sprockets on the DW pedal would get me. Getting old sucks. LOL

I so want a vintage kit again. I had a beat up old Slingerland (probably late 60s) in sky blue pearl, but it disappeared while I was in the service. :hmmm: I never had much respect for that kit when I was a kid, because it wasn't what was cool at the time (can you say "power toms"? :lol: :rolleyes: ). If I had known then what I know now, I would have taken steps to secure it better while I was away. Live and learn.

The prices on the Catalina Clubs are really appealing......

John

I so want a vintage kit again. I had a beat up old Slingerland (probably late 60s) in sky blue pearl, but it disappeared while I was in the service. :hmmm: I never had much respect for that kit when I was a kid, because it wasn't what was cool at the time (can you say "power toms"? :lol: :rolleyes: ). If I had known then what I know now, I would have taken steps to secure it better while I was away. Live and learn.

John

I don't know, John, whenever I thought of Slingerland, I also immediately thought of Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson.