AMK MiG-31B/BS

Radders

Hi guys!

Not many WIP pics so far but thought I would start a thread to carry on from where I at.. the lovely AMK MiG-31B/BS... a joy to build, it's flying together but for this pic it's mostly pushed together (the large main parts anyway). In the next day or so I should be able to glue all this together with tail sections and I can't wait. I wish we had one in 32nd scale but this more than makes up for not..!

Anyone who has thought about getting one, do. It's brilliant.

30087423266_3b62ff6fd6_o.jpg

Looking good, Radders!

I'm certainly following along for this one, since I have one in the "to do" pile for a friend and it will be my next commission build after finishing my current one. So, I'm curious to know your thoughts as you go and also if you feel the need for the additional detail set that AMK has announced. In particular, when you get to the landing gear, if you feel that the metal ones would be an improvement, especially from a structural standpoint, as this model will have to be shipped.

Cheers,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, starting to take shape a bit more now. Such a big kit, going to need a nice box to hide it away in when it's done. (I don't have a cabinet and the box will be useful for shows!)

Can't wait to paint it, thinking it may be done for Telford but I'm not going to rush it.

30289822402_0487c704e0_o.jpg

Auuugh!  You guys are killing me!  I keep waiting for metal replacement gear (the kit gear is brilliant, but very delicate).

Wanna start it!   And I can't wait for their upcoming MiG-25, either!

Tim W.

I'm also still waiting to see more about AMK's metal gear that they're putting out and want to compare it with the G-Factor set. To me, that's the main (possibly only) aftermarket item I'm going to need.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I'm using the kit undercarriage, I may regret that... but it won't be on it all the time, I'm going to box this up when it's built and use it at shows.

More pics, just of cockpit more than anything. Inlets and nose pushed on. Will be all glued up tonight.

30483039582_cf39f0a2b5_o.jpg

29966077763_60b5054663_o.jpg

30483037972_8d641759fd_o.jpg

30511701981_91b8d34af8_o.jpg

Edited by Radders

Auuugh!  You guys are killing me!  I keep waiting for metal replacement gear (the kit gear is brilliant, but very delicate).

Wanna start it!   And I can't wait for their upcoming MiG-25, either!

Tim W.

I bought the G-Factor legs and they are very uncharacteristically a bit crap. One MLG leg badly pitted and the NLG leg copied from an incorrectly made assembly. The MLG are useable if the pitted one is filled/thickened with putty, but you lose the bandings on that one. My only ever bad experience with G Factor.

Received the AMK MiG-31 Accessory Set last week and it's great. Lovely metal legs, pitot etc.

Looking forwards to the AMK MiG-25 series too and slaking thirst with the forthcoming ICM MiG-25RBT version due out this month - defo in time for Xmas.

Nice built BTW Radders.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Radders

Looking so good. Why the nervousness about using the kit's gear?

Peter

Seen a few builds where they kick outwards, which isn't good. Looks like it doesn't support the kit weight well.

Anyway, a long time coming... finally I have some paint on!! Using Tamiya XF-54 lightened, but I think it's going to need to be lightened up a bit more...

(Excuse the crappy phone photo, will get better ones later)

34491406133_3846e672ca_b.jpg

Edited by Radders

Gorgeous!  Yeah, that kit is amazing.  Really looking forward to their Tomcat AND the Foxbat!!  And the other stuff they have coming...

I really hope we get the Foxbat? More than happy to build a few of them! ICM MiG-25 up next for me after the AMK 31.

A better photo for you guys.. trying to pick out the variation of colours (of grey) but hard to photograph. Hopefully as the paint job progresses, it should be more visible. I was hoping to get some more done tonight, but have decided to go B-1, B-2 & B-52 hunting from 4am tomorrow.. so bed time for me now, see you guys with an update tomorrow if I'm not asleep!

35201912561_34288d05fe_o.jpg

Edited by Radders