kkarlsen

PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

Guest Peterpools

Kent

Absolutely outstanding start on the paint work and weathering - simply world class.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Very nice effect. Maybe not the same as on the picture. But what about window above twenty. There is big one on the model, not so small like on the picture.

It's risky business to show fotos of original.

All work very impressive.

Regards

Tomasz

Very nice effect. Maybe not the same as on the picture. But what about window above twenty. There is big one on the model, not so small like on the picture.

It's risky business to show fotos of original.

All work very impressive.

Regards

Tomasz

Yeah I've noticed that too Tomasz. I haven't done a lot of research into these discrepancies, but there are some. 

I also noticed some differences within the interior. I think, that maybe the '20' was an early type of PBY-5A?

The small window is the same on the non amphibian PBY's

For now I will try to live with it, but i know it won't be easy, at some point I will probably have to do something about it, if it keeps me awake at night ;-)

While were at it:

I'm also having difficulties with the antenna on the rear fuselage, it seems to be an early configuration too? I haven't been able to find the exact locations for the many connections to the fuselage, every drawing I've seen, has them in a different position and photos aren't sharp enough to 'decode' their location?.

And then there is the question of the access ladder, I have only seen photos with the ladder on the port side blister, was it possible to mount it on the starboard side as well?

Regards: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

I will check my references for your antenna I know one comes down between the two blisters on the back but it's on one side I believe it comes down on the Starboard by that little window

HPH's PBY 5A is early mid production. The kit doesn't have the the Deicing system covers on top of the engine nacelles that happened to be to the starboard side of each of the naselle.

On the later models you had the cat's eye ball turret which is not the kit either

Edited by Vandy 1 VX 4

Your boarding ladder can be used on port and starboard side. 90% of the photos are Portside detailing scale pby Catalina volume 66 page 61 shows the ladder on the starboard side.

I'm a little confused of your antenna placement which antenna are you referring to. The one coming from the rudder going up and over the wing to the canopy cockpit area or the one going under the wing that has two Runners going down between the two blisters

Your boarding ladder can be used on port and starboard side. 90% of the photos are Portside detailing scale pby Catalina volume 66 page 61 shows the ladder on the starboard side.

I'm a little confused of your antenna placement which antenna are you referring to. The one coming from the rudder going up and over the wing to the canopy cockpit area or the one going under the wing that has two Runners going down between the two blisters

Thank you for your input!

I have some photos showing the Antennae conguration 'puzzle'...

7698-040218093005-130071483.jpeg

'20' s configuration

7698-040218093005-13006673.jpeg

7698-040218093006-130081317.jpeg

7698-040218093006-130091228.jpeg

7698-040218093004-1300331.jpeg

Very nice painting and weathering Karl. It's not something you want to do on every plane, but for this subject it just works.

Cheers, Wouter

Thank you Wouter, appreciate it. Your absolutely right it's easily overdone. Not many aircraft would show this kind of Sea/salt weathering.

Cheers: Kent