PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

Thanks guys, i finally started putting all the parts into the interior, beginning with the Radio Station...

7698-161117105119-124061090.jpeg

Some wiring and some extra small parts...

7698-161117105119-124082403.jpeg

Also some wiring and parts added to the cockpit wall...

7698-161117105120-124092173.jpeg

7698-161117105120-124102295.jpeg

The cockpit bulkhead in place...

Is there any way you can start embedding your images in your posts?  Hard to follow your awesome build, individually clicking each image.

Not a build update, but this summer I was fortunate to stumble across a most tantalizing story.

I read this book during my holiday...

7698-100917203401-12163250.jpeg

It's one of those stories were factual events are much more fantastic than any fiction writer would ever invent.

If your ever gonna read a book on flying during world war 2, this would be the one... Fabulous! 

And now I have a new strong candidate for my PBY-build...

Maybe this one will stick?

Outstanding build you have going on here! I came across it while looking for reference pics for an upcoming 1/48 PBY-5A build. Great work!

Regarding this book mentioned above, I have to pick it up and give it a read. Having not read it, I'm not sure if it mentions some activity that the U.S. Navy Research Lab took part in back around 2010. We were operating P-3 Orions in Iraq using a pretty nice ground penetrating RADAR. On our transit across the Atlantic back to the States, the USCG requested that we take a look at an area were they believed the lost Grumman Duck might have been. The RADAR ops took a few scans and got some returns. The USCG folks came and briefed us a few weeks later, and last I heard they were sending people to further investigate based on the returns our crew picked up.

I mean, if you like well built and incredibly detailed builds then this is for you, otherwise look somewhere else.  :lol:  Awesome work! Love this plane and this build!

Thank you all, I appreciate your encouraging comments a lot!

Now I can finally begin to see light at the end of the tunnel...

The Catalina is my all time favorite aircraft and HPH has done a great job.

But there's no way I'm able to take any shortcuts with this build.

It will also get a special place in my collection, once it's finished.

BTW I found a photo of the missing radio operator...

7698-171117073620.jpeg

P.S. I'm not doing the typewriter!

Cheers, Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

Hi Bil,

Kent's images are showing up fine for me - not for you, I take it? What do you see instead?

Kev

Kev, my work must block images from wherever Kent is hosting them... I can see them just fine at home, so nothing to see here, I'll just have to read this thread from home.  ;)

Bil 

Kent, you are pretty far along, but if you need any photos the Military Aviation Museum near me has a Catalina, be happy to take photos for you (external only).  Like I said, I doubt you need any additional reference at this point, but you never know.

Keep up the incredible work, Bil