What is the best tape to use to scribe awkward panel lines?

mpk

Hi guys.

I managed to sand a line out of a radial engine cowling just near the front end. How should I prepare it for re-scribing? I tried a couple of things that went awry so have filled the poor lines with putty to sand smooth later.

It is the line under the chin of a Shidenkai George.

The top was easily worked on due to my remembering how to approach the mold line. Just use a knife and sand smooth.

Bloody fool. :D

Edited by mpk

I keep a roll of very thin Chartpak graphic tape handy. I've seen it is thin as .4mm - generally available at office supply stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Chart-Matte-Black-CHABG6201M/dp/B001E65NLA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1475203096&sr=8-6&keywords=chartpak+chart+tape

Brilliant! Thanks so much. When I go to the Dr later I will call into an office supply shop.

I am sending the link to my phone so as to avoid forgetting via chemo brain. ;)

You're a legend Bill! Thanks again.

Dale

If you have wobbly hands (like I do), you might also try Dymo tape. Cut into thin strips, it will be easier to bend in a lateral motion. It's sticky enough to stay put, and thick enough to act as a straightedge.

Thank you Sir. I ordered both! :)

Cannot go wrong now.  :hmmm:

Agreed 110%. Dymo tape (if you can find it as it can be scares in some places) is great. Just like K2 indicated, cut it into 1/2 stripes length wise, to get it to better conform with any complex/compound curves. 

Also I would recommend when cutting the tape lengthwise, make the cut wavy, so you can make sure you are applying the "straight" edge of the tape, as when you cut them in half like that, there will only be 1 side on each that is actually 100% straight.  

I've applied it a couple times with the cut side to the panel line and wondered why it wasnt straight in the end.   :lol:

Edited by Out2gtcha

This works for me virtually every time for curves e.g fuselage

1. draw the line you want to scribe in pencil on the model, make this as accurate as possible

2. Place tamiya tape on top of this and ensure there is no creases

3. Remove the tape, the pencil line should now be on the tape and will have a curve to it

4. Put the tamiya tape on top of a length of dymo tape

5. Carefully cut with an xacto or scissors along the pattern on the tamiya tape

6. Put the dymo tape on the model, follow the pencil line you drew earlier

7. I scribe using a pin in a drill vice very lightly at first getting progressively firmer

Hope this helps!

i use dymo tape (the old stiff stuff) for anything in a straight line over a curved surface

but for curved lines I use electrical insulating tape - it's quite thick and flexible - I have no trade names I can give you, but I do have a pic - I just slice it int strips and it will take pretty tight curves no problem, it is also thick enough to use a scriber against..

224_zps8dmpdeev.jpg

like this..

225_zpsqwlv4f4m.jpg

HTH
Peter