WNW Albatros DVa / Pipe smoking moon!

karimb

Hello boys and girls!

I haven't done any work in progress thread for as long as i can remember...

As some of you may know my mig-3 build was pretty much a dry run for what is to come, trying to figure out the woodwork painting techniques, preshading for the linen and trying out my hand at rigging (albeit aerials, but the techniques and concepts are the same)...

I have, of late, become very engrossed in WW1 aviation subjects for some reason that is still unknown to me... the subjects are just so colourful and unique, just as unique as the brave (and possibly slightly mad) pilots who flew them  ;)

As a pilot myself i try to relate to the machinery they used to fly and the deeper i dig into references and the life stories of the pilots and crews, the more i am humbled at the courage and flying skills those people had...

Why WW1? i don't really know. Since i went back to modelling this year after a forced hiatus of almost 8 months, i have built the F18D and the Mig3, built my first 1/9 bust also a MaK scifi vignette, but all along i have felt i was in the doldrums... just a big big lull where i wasn't really spurred, i kept feeling like the car was running on fumes... Until something caught my eye in a WW1 biplane. Ever since, i started digging deeper, buying kits and aftermarket, reading wips, reviews and techniques. The more i read the more i was interested. All of this lead to a nicely rounded WW1 stash, a chockfull box of am for the kits and alot of excitement :D i feel the urge to build coming back to me!

I came back yesterday night to Doha from a 12 day long leave back home in Beirut, itching to get started on the Albatros. To my pleasant surprise on the way back from the airport i passed by my courier shipper and picked up 12 parcels they had received for me while i was not here. One of them was the Felixstowe F2a and the other was the Tamiya master coachwork Catherham super seven (another venture into an area of modelling i have never tried, a car, to relight the fires!)...

So here we go then. My first WW1 model...and my first wip in a long time!

The kit is from Wingnut Wings - nuff said!

i have amassed quite an amount of aftermarket items for the three albies i have in the stash. I dont know how much of the aftermarket i am going to use on this particular build as this one is going to be an 'exploration' build. None the less, i have included the aftermarket in the 'introduction' photos of the wip. I have also chosen the scheme i will be finishing the albatros in!

Below some photos of the box and the aftermarket

IMG_0292_zpsyozfa25f.jpg

IMG_0298_zpspqkppcnh.jpg

IMG_0299_zpsasgykvwg.jpg

IMG_0300_zpsdbgrdlah.jpg

IMG_0302_zpsxui3bzba.jpg

IMG_0301_zpsaxki9sse.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsrbcyphmq.png

And this is the scheme that will dress up the albatros!

I managed a very simple start today on the kit. I separated the fuselage halves from the sprue and either filled in the ejector pinholes or just sanded them down on the insides of the fuselage, best i could, although i don't know how much of those will be visible. I also managed to get a start on the engine and built the crankcase and the cylinders. Nothing really worthy of pictures. The plan is to have the engine built and painted first and then move on with the rest of the build.

On another note, i would like to share with you guys something i did do today lol.

The HGW harness kit comes with a cushion for the seat of the albatros but i only have one cushion and three kits in the stash. How could i possibly replicate that cushion short of making a resin casting ?(which is IMPOSSIBLE to do here in Qatar. Modelling supplies are inexistent so imagine what it is like for moulding silicone and resin!) I knew that that day would come so i had bought half a year ago off of a seller on Ebay a product called Oyumaru which is a very peculiar thing. It is a hard material, i dont know if it is some sort of hard rubber or similar. You put the material in a glass of very hot water for 3 minutes and the thing comes out soft and pliable like playdoh. when it cools down it goes back to its old hard state. So in order to replicate the cushions i thought hey lets give this thing a try with Tamiya two part epoxy putty, might work!

I heated up two fingers of Oyumaru and then took two impressions of the cushion in the blob. put the blob in the freezer for 5 minutes and then got it back out nice and solid. At that point i mixed two equal parts of epoxy putty and just took the imprints in. The stuff is still hardening and they should be done by tonight (by which time i will be on an airplane working lol!)

Some photos of the process below

IMG_0303_zpsbjkavwhg.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsy0b4o17n.jpg

IMG_0306_zpsrbkkvmwp.jpg

The good thing about the epoxy putty is it doesn't shrink so that's something i don't have to worry about. The 'castings' look quite rough but i will have to wait to see how they actually turn out after being cleaned up and receiving a coat of primer.

I have night flights for the next 3 nights, then two days in a row with 4 sectors so its going to be a bit hectic, then two days off. I will try to put in as much building time as i can between flights as i am pretty excited about this build. The pace will slow down a bit around the first week of October as i have my LPC/OPC license renewal that we get every 6 months and i need to review for that.

I hope you guys will be along for the build and are as excited as i am lol!

As always your comments and criticisms are highly appreciated

till our next update

Stay safe and happy modelling!

Karim  :clap2:  :clap2:

Now this is a WIP that will get my full attention. I have the very same WNW Albatross lying in my stash, so i'm very curious about you're findings Karim.

About the fact it's you're first W.W.1 model : you will notice, once you're Albatross will be finnished, and you put it in you're display case, you get a real unique piece of art between you're other models. Those jets or W.W.2 models can just not be compared with a W.W. 1 bird. I'm not talking about the quality of you're work, but about the appearance of such a model. The wood, the rigging and the almost naked engine are facts that gives the model a whole other appearance.

The start look's allready very promissing.

Succes mate.

Greetz

Danny

Edited by DannyVM

Guest Peterpools

Karim my friend

Ingenious solution right out of the gate!

I'm strapped in and buckled up!

I'm with you all the way

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

I like that idea.  Thinking out of the box to problem solve.  Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Mark!

I am happy to say the experiment actually worked out to a certaindegree. More on that in the upcoming post!

Welcome back!

You picked a great topic, and I'm impressed with your creativity!

Fly safe,

Tom

Thanks Tom. I am going to need all the help i can get once I start wading out of my comfort zone. But i am thoroughly enjoying pushing the envelope up to now. Thanks for being along for the build!

Now this is a WIP that will get my full attention. I have the very same WNW Albatross lying in my stash, so i'm very curious about you're findings Karim.

About the fact it's you're first W.W.1 model : you will notice, once you're Albatross will be finnished, and you put it in you're display case, you get a real unique piece of art between you're other models. Those jets or W.W.2 models can just not be compared with a W.W. 1 bird. I'm not talking about the quality of you're work, but about the appearance of such a model. The wood, the rigging and the almost naked engine are facts that gives the model a whole other appearance.

The start look's allready very promissing.

Succes mate.

Greetz

Danny

Danny my friend. I know exactly what you mean maybe it's all this multimedia wood metal and fabric that just is so beautiful about ww1 aircraft. I was actually surprised when i got to play around with the fuselage halves this thing is quite small. I am really looking forward to moving on with the albatros build

Thankd for being along for the build my friend!

Karim my friend

Ingenious solution right out of the gate!

I'm strapped in and buckled up!

I'm with you all the way

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Peter my friend!

How are you?

I'm super excited to have you along for the build buddy. Your comments and expertise will be needed when the thing gets to a stage where i am treading new waters lol

How's the mossie build coming?