1/32 Italeri Mirage IIICJ - 101st Tayeset of the Ha'Avir

AndrewDoppel

Thanks again every one for your comments. The instructions in the kit stated that the Israeli Mirage used either the sidewinder or 550s. As this was a later scheme I thought I'd go the later. I'm not going to change them even though you guys are probably right.

They didn't have any AAMs at first and one of the ace squadron leaders petitioned hq and they flogged some 'winders off a phantom squadron. The French engineers said the missiles wouldn't work on the mirage but they did a little creative wiring and the rest is history! I think it was Ran Pecker or Yiftach Spectres memoirs

Finished this afternoon-Italeri 1/32 Mirage IIIC/CJ of the 101st Tayeset of Ha'Avir

I don't know much about this particular jet although it has 10 kills but I have been recently informed that it ended up with 12-13 before it was sold to Argentina.  It has now been re-acquired by the Israeli AF for a museum with the kill markings still under the Argie paintwork.  I read that there is some conjecture as to whether the black and yellow Id markings were or were not applied at some stage prior to being sold.  I have also read that it started life as serial 159 and ended up with serial 459 just before it was sold. 

Besides an IP courtesy of Eric (Thanks again) this was built OOB except instead of doing the early NMF scheme I decided to camo it and add the yellow and black triangles which if you weren't aware were painted on so it was easier to id as Israeli and not a Syrian Mirage flying out of Egypt, whose scheme was very similar.

20160923_163705_zpsodrabxhs.jpg

20160923_163719_zpsuwwogwtx.jpg

20160923_163836_zpszup9fe8z.jpg

20160923_163824_zpsyko9ormg.jpg

20160923_163749_zpsz7jtkizv.jpg

20160923_163851_zpseywqkzxq.jpg

Very nice, Andrew. A little history on 259. It actually started life as just plain old 59 in NMF. The IDF at some point added a prefix to the individual aircraft number which apparently had something to do with upgrades. So 59 also appeared as you have done it, 259, but also 159 and 459. The 4 prefix was for Mirages assigned to recon duties to carry one of the various specialized camera-equipped noses.

Edited by TBC

Very nice, Andrew. A little history on 259. It actually started life as just plain old 59 in NMF. The IDF at some point added a prefix to the individual aircraft number which apparently had something to do with upgrades. So 59 also appeared as you have done it, 259, but also 159 and 459. The 4 prefix was for Mirages assigned to recon duties to carry one of the various specialized camera-equipped noses.

Very nice model,Andrew!!!

Actually at first IAF wanted to confuse the enemy to think it had more planes than they actually had

That's why the added number 1 or 2

Saw at least one photo of brush painted yellow triangle and heavy weather/peel of the black and yellow paint 

There were no Syrian Mirages,Libya had,flying out of Egypt .

Mirages carried Shafrir 1 missiles and some captured Atoll,which in turn were Soviet copies

of the early Sidewinders

Isaac

Thanks again for your comments guys.  I have certainly learnt something new.  I apologise for the delay in responding as I have been tied up with work, family and other commitments.

Life always gets in the way of the hobby.

• 2 weeks later...