Sign in to follow this  
LSP_Kevin

Trumpeter 02204: 1:32 MiG-15 bis

I seem to recall (we're going back like 18 years here) that when I taped the major airframe parts together it didn't pass my "eyeball" test.  Just something about it.  I never did any detailed measurements.

I don't think Thierry has done a tweak list for it yet either, but something like that would help a lot. I've seen a few of these built with care, and they can look quite splendid.

My point exactly. I don't think any kit should be dismissed "out of hand", because it doesn't live up to a higher standard. The HpH kit, while appearing to be very nice, is way too expensive for my current budget. Since the Trumpeter kit was given to me, I've decided to make a go of it (again), and see what I can do with it.

I've already accumulated a few things for my kit, and will soon be ordering some more stuff. I'm confident I can make this work. As to the windscreen, I never noticed a slope difference, but I'll look into that.

That is one from the series that I do not have, but would certainly like to get my hands on a copy one day.

I have a few of the Famous Russian Aircraft books, and they are indeed awesome.

There is also the TAC Scale Dynamics resin kit floating out there. I found one, don't remember where. It looked pretty good in the box, though I haven't given a serious go-over.

Nice review, K2!

There is also the TAC Scale Dynamics resin kit floating out there. I found one, don't remember where. It looked pretty good in the box, though I haven't given a serious go-over.

Nice review, K2!

Thanks, Ray. Yes, I was aware of the TAC Scale kit, though I've never actually seen it. The database information for the kit is linked to in my review, part of the great K1 linked content crusade, which I'm personally very pleased with.

Guest The Southern Bandit

OK, I finally discovered what the mysterious flaw is with the tail; it's too narrow in chord, especially towards the fin tip, or so it appears.

That makes sense because I pulled my kit out the other day and quickly put my resin aftermarket tail over the top of the kit one and could see no difference in profile/shape and was thinking .. Hmmmm?

Will pull the kit out again later and check for thickness of chord with the two fuselage sides joined in a dry fit.

I built the kit, had fun with it, My son now has it at his home, on a shelf with the other models I have built over the years.As to the ultimate accuracy, I cannot say, but it was fun to build and looks nice on the shelf.

I don't think Thierry has done a tweak list for it yet either, but something like that would help a lot. I've seen a few of these built with care, and they can look quite splendid.

Well gents, I will leave that work to somebody else for a simple reason: I only own one MiG-15 and it is the HpH kit...!

Well gents, I will leave that work to somebody else for a simple reason: I only own one MiG-15 and it is the HpH kit...!

It certainly won't be me. Until Kag pointed out that there is a tail replacement available, I hadn't even noticed that it might not be correct. I'll leave the tweak lists to others.