Trumpeter 02204: 1:32 MiG-15 bis

LSP_Kevin

Thanks !

That's nice to see old release reviews.

I agree 100% with the conclusion. I have 3 or 4 of these little kits with a few Mig-17 as well (i take one sometimes when i need to spend a few more $ to get free shipping !), they are VERY cheap and certainly a very good base despite the few shortcomings.

Indeed the HPH kit is way better on every points but it's a bit more intimidating and of course about 10X more expensive.

Nice review, and excellent images.

It may just be my imagination, but I'm sure there existed a number of MiG-15s and -17s, especially the latter, with a more gently sloping, thicker armoured windshield more akin to the Trumpeter parts.

image_123.jpeg

image_122.jpeg

photos reproduced for educational purposes only

Agree with Zero that the Fresco is a great little model, and there still exists a great amount of AM for both the Trumpeter '-15 & '-17 kits, e.g.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=MiG-15&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=MiG-17&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

Tony

edited for, yes, editing

Edited by Tony T

Nice review, and excellent images.

It may just be my imagination, but I'm sure there existed a number of MiG-15s and -17s, especially the latter, with a more gently sloping, thicker armoured windshield more akin to the Trumpeter parts.

image_123.jpeg

image_122.jpeg

photos reproduced for educational purposes only

Agree with Zero that the Fresco is a great little model, and there still exists a great amount of AM for both the Trumpeter '-15 & '-17 kits, e.g.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=MiG-15&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=MiG-17&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

Tony

edited for, yes, editing

Maybe you're thinking about the Mig-17PF canopy? (which is included in the kit and looks more accurate)

MiG-17PF_3.jpg

By the way, about 10 days ago i bought the recently released "Famous Russian Aircraft" about the Mig-17 by Yefim Gordon, and it's a gem.

Edited by Zero77

Apologies for the "red herring"; yes, you're right! It's a Polish MiG-17PF that is on the build list here and dominating my thought patterns. Shawn's vac form option is probably the best route for the -15 'Again' version.

Always wanted to do a Finnish MiG-15UTI and Designer built one kitbashing the MiG-15 and FT-5 kits, so maybe it's back on the table.

Am after a copy of Yefim Gordon's history of the PVO but can't find one anywhere (except for silly money). His books really are superb.

Tony

Indeed the HPH kit is way better on every points but it's a bit more intimidating and of course about 10X more expensive.

My point exactly. I don't think any kit should be dismissed "out of hand", because it doesn't live up to a higher standard. The HpH kit, while appearing to be very nice, is way too expensive for my current budget. Since the Trumpeter kit was given to me, I've decided to make a go of it (again), and see what I can do with it.

I've already accumulated a few things for my kit, and will soon be ordering some more stuff. I'm confident I can make this work. As to the windscreen, I never noticed a slope difference, but I'll look into that.

By the way, about 10 days ago i bought the recently released "Famous Russian Aircraft" about the Mig-17 by Yefim Gordon, and it's a gem.

That is one from the series that I do not have, but would certainly like to get my hands on a copy one day.

Am after a copy of Yefim Gordon's history of the PVO but can't find one anywhere (except for silly money). His books really are superb.

Tony

I have a few of the Famous Russian Aircraft books, and they are indeed awesome.

Yep, it's an oldie alright. Our current thinking is that any review is better than no review at all, so when I was given this kit, the first thing I did was to check the review database. Sure enough, it wasn't there, so I decided to add it. When I bought my first kit, I was quite content with what I saw. Though certainly not on par with Tamiya or some other established firms, at least it was a 1:32 MiG-15. The only real issue I had, was when I began looking at the windscreen. I pulled some references, scratched my head, and wondered what they were thinking.

Some have made vague comments to the fact that the tail and wings are all fouled up too, but no one has offered up any specifics in that regard, at least that I am aware of.

I may take you up on that, J. The comment that I specifically recall, is that the trailing edge, flaps and ailerons are all messed up. I have no idea what he was referring to, and no elaboration was offered. I know Grey Matter offers a new resin vertical tail, but I have no idea why, again just comments like the tail is all wrong, but again, no reasons as to why that is.

When I get further into my model, I'll be eyeballing all of my various references (about 12 books), and see if I can discover what all the mystery is about.

I seem to recall (we're going back like 18 years here) that when I taped the major airframe parts together it didn't pass my "eyeball" test.  Just something about it.  I never did any detailed measurements.

I don't think Thierry has done a tweak list for it yet either, but something like that would help a lot. I've seen a few of these built with care, and they can look quite splendid.

My point exactly. I don't think any kit should be dismissed "out of hand", because it doesn't live up to a higher standard. The HpH kit, while appearing to be very nice, is way too expensive for my current budget. Since the Trumpeter kit was given to me, I've decided to make a go of it (again), and see what I can do with it.

I've already accumulated a few things for my kit, and will soon be ordering some more stuff. I'm confident I can make this work. As to the windscreen, I never noticed a slope difference, but I'll look into that.

That is one from the series that I do not have, but would certainly like to get my hands on a copy one day.

I have a few of the Famous Russian Aircraft books, and they are indeed awesome.

There is also the TAC Scale Dynamics resin kit floating out there. I found one, don't remember where. It looked pretty good in the box, though I haven't given a serious go-over.

Nice review, K2!

There is also the TAC Scale Dynamics resin kit floating out there. I found one, don't remember where. It looked pretty good in the box, though I haven't given a serious go-over.

Nice review, K2!

Thanks, Ray. Yes, I was aware of the TAC Scale kit, though I've never actually seen it. The database information for the kit is linked to in my review, part of the great K1 linked content crusade, which I'm personally very pleased with.