F-15E/I Cannon Pics?

spyrosjzmichos

Hi all,

During the ongoing F-15I build I tried to fit the front cannon cover but I got some serious fit issues.

So, I thought it would be a good idea to build the front cannon bay structure.

However, when I search on the web I can only find pics of F-15s without the conformal tanks. 

Are these tanks usually removed during weapons maintenance?

If not, are there any pics available with the cannon shroud removed and with tanks in place?

Thanks!

Spyros

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

Spyros,

Generally when a jet goes into the hangar for phase maintenance all the main components are removed. In the case of the M61 is maintenance schedule is every 18 months or after 1000 rounds if fired whichever comes first if i remember well. As you can see from the picture below a 48th FW F-15E goes into phase maintenance at Lakneheath. There are no CFTs installed. My advise however if you are going to present the M61 open for maintenance do not load ordnance onto your model. There is no way to have live or even practice rounds on the jet while under maintenance except in some cases on the aircraft carrier. Hope this helps.

2s1k8df.jpg

Love that last photo. I had no idea, (or never noticed before), how many panel #s were on an aircraft. Do the numbers stay on, or are they painted over once an overhaul is completed?

Panel numbers are always on the jet. The purpose of being there is to guide the maintenance crew to find the according documentary. 

Spyros,

Generally when a jet goes into the hangar for phase maintenance all the main components are removed. In the case of the M61 is maintenance schedule is every 18 months or after 1000 rounds if fired whichever comes first if i remember well. As you can see from the picture below a 48th FW F-15E goes into phase maintenance at Lakneheath. There are no CFTs installed. My advise however if you are going to present the M61 open for maintenance do not load ordnance onto your model. There is no way to have live or even practice rounds on the jet while under maintenance except in some cases on the aircraft carrier. Hope this helps.

2s1k8df.jpg

For further pictures of the cannon area I would recommend Jake Melampy's excellent book on the F-15 or wait for the F-15 Under The Skin from EagleAviation! 

Hello! Thanks for the info! I understand that a maintenance scene with full weapons load would be unrealistic but I will be using some poetic licence and display everything.

I checked the kit again and decided that I will eventually add the front shroud and instead detail the rear bay based on F's pic.

But thanks again! Appreciate this info!  :)

Hi all,

During the ongoing F-15I build I tried to fit the front cannon cover but I got some serious fit issues.

However, when I search on the web I can only find pics of F-15s without the conformal tanks. 

If not, are there any pics available with the cannon shroud removed and with tanks in place?

Thanks!

Spyros

I think so, otherwise the tank prevent almost any access to the lower gun bay panels.

f-15e-gun.jpg

P1000804.JPGF-15E-020807-F-1789V-001.jpg

On the other hand while i encountered several small fit issues with the kit (for a Tamiya kit, i may have found it normal for any other manufacturer :) ), i dont remember such a problem with the gun cover.

20151003_113834_zpsmipmvmfu.jpg

20150308_223836_zpswajzjd1t.jpg

Edited by Zero77

Panel numbers are always on the jet. The purpose of being there is to guide the maintenance crew to find the according documentary.

That is a new aircraft on display from Micky D's, active USAF F-15'S have had the panel numbers, QA dots and servicing placards removed on acceptance inspection since 1983.....

Hi all,

Thanks!

Spyros

When needed for for access to panels under the CFT's mainly the gun itself and hydraulic resivoirs. This would include acess panels from the gun muzzle panel back to the wing leading edge, This is cleaned after every use at the end of the flying day as part of the gun BPO (basic Post Flight). Also is removed at phase time. Gun drum itself is removed at free a certain amount of flying hours usually to coincide with phase in spect ion. To remove the drum the centreline tank and or pylon need to be removed.