Stealth Blackhawk

dsahling1

I've been considering doing a MH-60 Blackhawk for my next build, but I was thinking of doing the stealth version used in the UBL raid.  Is there a kit or conversion for this?  Does anyone think it could possibly be scratch built from the base kit?  I doubt there are official schematics lurking around, but perhaps it could be done with a lot of educated guesswork.  I'm assuming I'll need quite a bit of Evergreen plastic and card stock.  Thoughts?

Dan

Dan, a very interesting subject, thought of it myself some time, but i think you'll have to scratchbuild it, but like you said you'd need some "schematics" to go by, i guess you don't have them do you?

Or "educated guessed photos"?

Probably far from the real thing.  Not much of a point to optimizing it for stealth and then hanging miniguns out of the side windows.    

For a very brief time on ARC, someone posted a picture of a stealth optimized UH-60.   Supposedly it was a prototype.  Only showed it from the front quarter and it looked nothing like the helo in the link above.   Shortly thereafter, the OP was asked to remove the picture and it was gone.   The helo I saw could only be described as hideous looking.   In a recent "tell-all" book, an author that is supposed to be in the know said that the Hawks used in the OBL raid were actually an earlier generator stealth version.  There are helo's that are even stealthier in the inventory but it was decided that they were overkill for that particular mission and the earlier helos were utilized.   I'm sure at some point the truth will come out and we'll all be surprised. 

That story has been debunked. The chopper in that photo was a fake. Other than the photo of the tail that wasn't destroyed in the OBL raid, no other actual photo of a stealth chopper has surfaced.

Sure...  that's what "they" want you to think.  Kidding aside, where did you hear that?  I'm certainly no expert but a couple of folks who seem to be up to speed on that subject told me off line something a bit different. 

I think at this point you could concoct whatever configuration you think is plausible, and there would be no way to contradict you. Well, unless it end up looking like this:

1ce81aab7cf6e8c7cdedc0685baf03b5.jpg

I mean, theres just no way to fit a SEAL team in it, and that paint scheme is DEFINITELY not low viz! You could just go with the mock up they used for Zero Dark Thirty, they probably knew as much as anyone.

neptunespear40.jpg?w=620

Gentlemen, in a similar context, and not trying to "hi-jack" Dan's quest, but there was another "stealth" modelling issue in the past.

Somewhere in the mid or late eighties, Revell published their yearly  catalogue and in the 1/32 aircraft section my attention was strongly drawn towards a very misterious model to be released (mind you the picture belongs to the Monogram release in 1/48):

tumblr_n6pmixzbp51txx6x7o6_500_zpssfhdne

Now this was around the time all these rumours on stealth aircraft were wide spread, and each and everyone had different ideas and visions on these subjects.

Funny thing though, this Revell kit (called the Loral design) was never released (i still have that part of the catalogue somewhere, must try and find it) and having no internet or email yet at that time,  i called Revell germany in Bünde to ask about its release......

I was told the kit was cancelled and thats that......no reason was given

And as you can see Monogram released a similar model in 1/48, called the F-19.......

the rest is history as they say...

Jack.

The thing I found funny is when they released the Russian "Mig-37 Ferret" stealth kit, the description talked about how it was made of flat panels and not rounded because the Russians stealth technology was less advanced. In the end, it ended up looking more like the real F-117 than either of the F-19 kits on the market. 

Jennings, I think we are talking about two very different pictures bud.  I'm aware of the pic you are talking about.  The pic I have ain't it.   The one I've got was a shot of a modified hawk that was heavily retrofitted fitted to provide a reduction in frontal RCS.  Nothing more, nothing less. It didn't have the modified tail.   It's a close up taken in broad daylight and shows no sign of being altered.

Is it similar to what they flew on the OBL raid?  I have no idea...  

The OP said it was an open source picture, a short time later another poster who had a good amount of involvement in Army helo test programs suggested otherwise and suggested the pic be removed asap. The OP complied. 

I think at this point you could concoct whatever configuration you think is plausible, and there would be no way to contradict you. Well, unless it end up looking like this:

1ce81aab7cf6e8c7cdedc0685baf03b5.jpg

I mean, theres just no way to fit a SEAL team in it, and that paint scheme is DEFINITELY not low viz! You could just go with the mock up they used for Zero Dark Thirty, they probably knew as much as anyone.

neptunespear40.jpg?w=620

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a SEAL team CAN and DOES fit in the back of a MH-60 hawk. As far as the paint scheme, the silver coating is a newer technology out.

It is a low radar reflecting paint being used for experiments with stealth technology. Here it is applied to a CV-22 Osprey.

Image property of Steve Douglass

silver-osprey_zps5ztxwxxt.jpg

Believe me, this tail section belonged to a real stealth helo.

Tim