MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

Sorry to hear. Good luck with the rebuild.  Lots of constraints with SB. It's got to be buildable, it's got to fit (and fit with other parts to come later), it's got to be strong, and oh yeah,  it has to look just like the real thing! Sometimes gets in the way of an honest effort on all the other counts. A lot like juggling a 4th ball. This got me on my 262 project. I made the engines all nice and neat, I make the wings all nice and I got caught up in how they would mechanically mate but sort of forgot they ASLO have to mate in exactly the same way as the real thing. My inner nitpicker could not stand them being too low and had to do it all over again. The plane barely survived all the ripping and tearing. (shudders)

Cheers Jim....all the above is oh so true!.....luckily I have caught it before I have added any detail!......I will fix the problem but I should have looked ahead of the build!.,..oh well!

Take a look at this B17 Starboard wing root minus the wing of course......

shell82of114_zpsb00df331-crop_zpscmx5m4w

looks familiar  :whistle:

I take it you have all those images from the Duxford B-17 restoration Fozzy?

The photo you posted above is that of a scale model..... take a close look at the size, shape and spacing of the holes in the wing root face..... notice that they are sharp edged cut outs ? Now look at this photo below....notice that the same holes have a rolled edge ? They were die punched ( which adds strength due to the rolled edge around the cut out ).

IMG_0379_zps0tniceri.jpg

looks familiar  :whistle:

I take it you have all those images from the Duxford B-17 restoration Fozzy?

Yes it is Rich!...I am still in awe of your model and often study photos of your B17G so as to get tips! :)

The photo you posted above is that of a scale model..... take a close look at the size, shape and spacing of the holes in the wing root face..... notice that they are sharp edged cut outs ? Now look at this photo below....notice that the same holes have a rolled edge ? They were die punched ( which adds strength due to the rolled edge around the cut out ).

IMG_0379_zps0tniceri.jpg

Hi Joe

Thanks for your input....and...yes it is a fantastic model of a B17G...built by Richdlc here on LSP...and I also realize that the holes will have to be die punched ;)...I am sure Rich wouldn't have missed a trick on that!....but the angle of the photo doesn't show it clearly!

Cheers 

Edited by fozzy

can you tell me the source of that photo ?

Joe

Sorry Joe....got confused with all the thousands of photos I have on the B17G.....see above as I have edited my post! :blush:

So how does someone roll those edges of the holes while scratchbuilding?

Tim

Well the way I am going to do it Tim is file the holes down at the appropriate angle...which shouldn't be too difficult as its going to be plastic! ;)

Fozzy,

No worries, I just wanted to point out the fact that the photo was of a model (extremely well done mind you ), but that you should be looking at actual B-17 photos for source info. Study the photos ( of the real thing )carefully, and you will notice a step on the inside edge of those cutouts.... I'm not sure, but it may be a second layer or skin behind the first...sort of a backing plate.

No matter what, your model is looking fantastic and it will be absolutely stunning when you get it all done ! Keep up the great work !!

Joe