Italeri 1/32 Mirage IIIO - Brick's A3-10

AndrewDoppel

brick%202_zpsr96othqf.png

Well guys,

It arrived from France yesterday afternoon, with the Red Roo pennants arriving this morning.  I can now start to make moves on building Wg Cdr Kevin 'Brick' Bricknell's RAAF Mirage Flagship A3-10.  To start, I'm going to do similar to Eric's cockpit by doing some upgrading of the basic cockpit to represent a better representation of the RAAF cockpit.  Here's what I'm going to be using at this stage until works get underway later this afternoon.

20160913_161651_zpse1hnynlz.jpg

20160914_122445_zpsd4qvroy9.jpg

5984b8a7-dde6-4c47-9843-4f331387d797_zps

20160914_153718_zpsdjruruad.jpg

Thanks Guys,  Hi Anthony, long time no speak.  I'll have to try and find your progress on here now I guess but come on man get a move on!!!!????

I had a bit of time to kill this afternoon with the rain in Melbourne so I started to unpack the IIIE/O.  I noticed this afternoon whilst painting the 1/32 IIIC/CJ I am also doing, that there is a small, raised section under the tail light on both sides of the fin.  On the second image you can see I have removed it as it is not applicable to a RAAF Mirage IIIO.  I then noticed that at the base of the fin there is a circular access panel.  This will need to be filled as will the diagonal panel line and a straight one engraved (refer vertical red line) on both sides as these are not visible in the images of tails.

As you will see in the first image I have also reduced the size of the actuator on the port side and will fill and reshape when I get an opportunity later.  There is also a small dimple under the rudder which I will try and replicate also. 

Edited by AndrewDoppel

Hi 

well it's raining Mirage here !!!! an other promising build thread ???!!!!  I think yes good start for now , I will follow yours with great interest ....... On thing to be noticed for other E ( French) version , it seems that Italieri has forgot the "antenna" just above the rudder , as well the probe on the leading edge of the vertical fin , some thing like this 

Alain

Mirage-IIIE-n578-3-JM-07.jpg

Edited by alain11

20160917_164117_zps40ehhaaq.jpg

A small update I'm afraid whilst I try finish the IIIC I've been working on (above). 

Anyway, the raised detail has been removed from the tail and smoothed over and the non-applicable access panels and panel lines have been filled and replaced with a corrected vertical panel line.  I have also corrected the actuator on the port side.

20160917_164055_zpszqojbppn.jpg

20160917_164009_zpsmt65zqb4.jpg

Tonight I decided to pay a little attention to the wings, particularly the top surface.  I have been in communication with Eric and we have both identified that several access panels need to be added and some raised areas on the wings removed.  You can see by the following three images of the real thing (including Brick's bird-below) that the surface is completely flat with no raised areas except possibly the slightly raised air-brake. 

20160918_195121_zpsnh6mpup8.jpg

20160918_195414_zpsd5qg7vox.jpg

The image below is of the port wing upper and lower surfaces before being marked for correcting.

20160918_195440_zps0efbhtyv.jpg

The image below is of the starboard wing with the correction details marked for removal items and added panels.  Note-There should be a panel line around the blue formation light which I have done but is not visible in the image at the bottom of this post.

20160918_195955_zpsl5oqpztc.jpg

20160918_200225_zpsaf8ifzmj.jpg

The image below shows the two lower sections of the wings with the part on the right showing where panel lines and access panels need to be placed.

20160918_201249_zpsq0vh35jf.jpg

The below image shows the difference after the starboard wing was updated with the raised areas removed and the missing access panels inserted compared to the original untouched port wing.  Both upper sections are now updated with the corrections with only minor touch up sanding to be done where I slipped with the scriber.

20160918_204418_zpseo34er7s.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Hi 

I am surprised by this panel layout , especially the long rectangular one one the leading edge , and even by the "trapezoidal" panel ..... are they specific to "Aussi" Mirage ??? !! .. here is a link , ( sure you already know it ..but) take a look at the picture number 100 / 104 

Alain

http://www.net-maquettes.com/et/

click "walk around " page 8 

Edited by alain11

Thanks gents.  Alain I have rechecked my wing references on pics I took a few years back of A3-72 and the larger rectangular panel on the leading edge isn't as prominent as I have made it so I am going to fill it with putty and eliminate it.  The smaller rectangular panel on the leading edge and the 'trapezoidal' panel near the air brake is prominent so will remain.

Regards

Andrew

Pretty sure regarding the Rectangular panel is the diff between WLE Mirages versus Non WLE Mirage. I cant recall the exact difference in panel line details between the two. A3-10 was however definitely not a WLE aeroplane and if memory serves me correctly 72 was a WLE aeroplane.

Just Checked Mottys and Pauls Bible Pg 306. Line drawing that details the Diff between WLE and Non WLE aeroplanes. Non WLE have the rectangle. So A3-10 should have it :)

Edit: So the kit represents a WLE aeroplane out of the box

Edited by TTail