Wingnut Fokker in US colors

apauling

Hello

This is my Wingnuts Fokker DVII. I decided to build it in American colors and install an American engine. I used parts from the Wingnuts Liberty V-12 accessory sprue and scratch built a new crankcase and manifolds to make a Liberty-six engine. I started this back in the fall of 2014 and have returned it to the box many times. Finally done. 

The national markings are Yellow Wings decals. The rudder stripes are painted and lettered with Microscale decals and Woodland Scenics dry transfers. Thanks to David Hansen for his advice on mixing insignia blue with Tamiya paints. ( I found an 8 to 1 mix of royal blue and black to match the Yellow Wings insignia blue although 9 to 1 looks better to my eye) 

I found this kit to be more difficult to build than other Wingnut kits. Wingnuts' faithful reproduction of the Fokker's steel tube construction makes the forward fuselage frame very fiddly and delicate. The fuselage did not want to close around the rear cockpit frame. This may be my fault but I don't know where I could have gone wrong. For those who plan on building one of these, don't spend a lot of time on the fuel tank, you will never see it again (but it is structurally necessary). Also, the landing gear is very wobbly, you will need to rig it with fishing line to give the structure some strength.

Fokker%20DVII%20d.jpg

Fokker%20DVII%20Liberty%20Six%20s.jpg

Fokker%20DVII%20c.jpg

Fokker%20DVII%20b.jpg

Fokker%20DVII%20Liberty%20Six.jpg

Fokker%20DVII%20a.jpg

Ver nice and original colors !

And very well done engine swaping, too. :)

For the undercarriage, i think it's the same with every WNW kits.

Just a question : Was there any reason for the prop to be painted silver in this US scheme?

Edited by Zero77

Ver nice and original colors !

And very well done engine swaping, too. :)

For the undercarriage, i think it's the same with every WNW kits.

Just a question : Was there any reason for the prop to be painted silver in this US scheme?

Thanks, to answer your question the aircraft had a wooden prop sheathed in aluminum foil.