1/32 Hasegawa P-26A Peashooter Part Deux...

Shaka HI

Guest Peterpools

Shaka .. looking mighty sweet. If you wanted to polish the prop, any reason why you didn't use Alcald or AK Chrome?

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

I too have fought the carpal tunnel monster, it effects my drumming more then modeling though.

Keep at it Shaka!

In regards to Vallejo mettalics being polishable, they dont "buff" like a Testors metalizer, but with a paper towel thy smooth out super nice

Hi Shaka - Looking good!

Just a quick note on the blue if you are doing the Wheeler Field aircraft - Dana Bell posted over on my thread: "The porcelain enamel samples of the newer Light Blue 23 are a little lighter than 595b chip 25053, and perhaps a bit redder.  (The Air Corps had agreed to switch to the Navy's True Blue five years earlier, but that paper agreement only began to be honored in the late-1939/1940 period and was often still ignored with the use of the earlier Army colors.)

So the blue is quite a bit darker than what I had originally thought. Also, while searching the internet for additional documentation I stumbled across this image shown for reference purposes only: 

p26wheeler_zps6jwy3cti.jpg

It looks like the same aircraft to me and perhaps taken at the same time as the well-known side view. Note that the three black stripes on the wings have been applied at an angle, not as depicted in the decal sheet artwork. Also note the black on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer that is also not depicted in the decal sheet artwork.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers.

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog

Bravo, John! Thanks for the info. Yes, the blue got me a bit confused and while the markings for the 94th is much more colorful,  I will be doing the Wheeler Field aircraft as it seems much more apropos and it is 75th Anniversary on the Attack of Pearl Harbor.

Edited by Shaka HI

Are you sure that's black and not fuselage color? It looks lighter than the wing stripes.

Hi Ernie - 

According to Ed Maloney as published in his Aero Series book on the Boeing P-26 "... the black band on the stabilizer leading edge is rubber boot to prevent dirt field rock damage." There are photographs in this publication that show the rubber boot wrapped much farther on the underside of the stabilizer than on the top (specifically pages 14 & 15). The Squadron MINI in Action publication No. 2 "P-26" (pg. 12) also identifies "... the dark leading edge on the horizontal tail surfaces were rubber gravel shields, not de-icer boots." 

Cheers!

John

So, I played with the blue a bit and after a couple hours came with this -- started spraying it on the model itself to gauge the color a bit...I dunno. At this point, I think I'll use the mix shown here:

vkVF35B.png

(It will be a bit darker with a gloss coat. 2nd edit...I'll be adding a bit more red to the final yellow coat.)

Edited by Shaka HI

If you have an iPhone, I can warmly recommend the imodelkit app. It has color palette feature that allows you to mix paints (virtually of course) to match a color sample. The sample can come from a file, a pic, etc...

I used it to get the chrome yellow on my Ryan PT-20 (but did not save the formula, alas :( )

Hubert