KASL Hobby: F-16A/B MLU Tamiya and Trumpeter tail sets

timvkampen

Hi All,

Just received my order from KASL Hobby from Taiwan. Already had the 1/48 tail sets for my Tamiya kits, but now the 32 scale is available. It is truly remarkably detailed and gives you an opportunity to model a Tamiya or Trumpeter Viper into an accurate A/B (MLU) model.

Hopefully they issue the early tails as well. Cockpit work you still need to do yourself of course as well as some panelling, although the 48-sets have a part to take care of that.

https://www.facebook.com/KASLHOBBY/

http://www.shop2000.com.tw/KASLHOBBY/

I ordered via messenger on the FB app, so easy to do. The website was a bit more difficult, so I reverted to the messenger.

The tails are a vast improvement over de earlier offerings on the market of CE and PWMP. 

It shall make finishing my Viper build easier for sure. Highly recommended.

IMG_2560.jpg

More pics later...

Edited by timvkampen

Sure can. There are some console panel layout differences, but that's also the case from Block 25-52. Seeing how MLU is basically a "C-Model conversion", the Block 50 cockpit will work. However, you need to remove the ECS duct on an the aft cockpit deck sil; right behind the seat and add the PMG indicator at the top of the HUD ICP panel.

I have been wanting to get a couple of those AB sets, couldn't figure out the website.  Any other ideas for those of us who do not use FB?

Not unless you scratch an F-16A/B Cockpit, 8 slotted Gun Muzzle, low profile ECS duct (for early A/Bs), and the rest of the antenna and detail bits.

Mike V

Edited by Viper Enforcer

Looks very nice. Didnt zactoman plan to release a 1/32 F-16 MLU conversion?

No, I suggested it and set up a poll. I do not think that it is necessary anymore with this company producing the sets you need. The panel set they have for the 48 scale should become available in 32 then it is a done deal. Cockpit you still need to tackle as well as the early wheels (already done by Eduard (Brassie) in 48 scale http://www.eduard.com/store/Aircraft-and-helicopters/F-16A-B-wheels-1-48.html )

The resin looks first class, but I'm a bit surprised it doesn't include the RWRs for the brakechute housing.  The other area of concern is the top of the tailfin.  This appears to have the wedge shape of the C/D, wheras the AM/BM pictures I have of Norwegian F-16s retain the smaller A/B style that only bulges above the rudder itself, so this doesn't appear to be a true AM/BM tailfin.

Jens

Much agreed; Nice castings, but it's not an F-16A/B vertical tail. I also noted a few other errors.

- As mentioned already, the vertical tail cap is the wider "C/D" model type; incorrect for the standard F-16A/B, including MLU. It is only correct for Block 20.

- The parabrake upper and lower side edges need to be a bit more rounded; mainly the lower.

- Also mentioned by Jens: Missing the RWR antennas; quite the key feature for most Parabrake A/B tails.

- The static discharger mounts blunt, like the kit. The static dischargers are quite exaggerated. 

- The notch at the lower rudder is a bit exaggerated and short. The notch is also only on the left side, not the right.

- Not sure what that "tube thing" is at the trailing edge of the lower dorsal base, but that's not right. Also, that recess transition should be a bit more subtle.

I had this KASL Block 20 vertical tail, but lost interest and gave to a friend who wanted to build a Block 20. Also needed is the upper aft fuselage section with the correct "fuel saddle bay" panels that perimeter the dorsal; and while at it; corrected  left side panel lines, which incorrectly mirror the right.

Mike V

Edited by Viper Enforcer

You need to put in some effort but far less than the horrible CE offerings and its derivatives. It is intended for the block 20 (Taiwan)...but surely we are skilled enough to add the details ??  :coolio:

@Mike V: when do you issue the wheels etc for the F-16A/B? Maybe you can also do the above wishlist (RWR antennas for sure).

Edited by timvkampen

You need to put in some effort but far less than the horrible CE offerings and its derivatives. It is intended for the block 20 (Taiwan)...but surely we are skilled enough to add the details ??  :coolio:

@Mike V: when do you issue the wheels etc for the F-16A/B? Maybe you can also do the above wishlist (RWR antennas for sure).

Block 20 no problem, but to correctly shape the F-16A vertical tail cap requires some good refs of the top of the vertical tail. Most photos are from the ground perspective, which can be misleading. I  wonder if the Hasegawa F-16A tail dorsal was used as a basis for the KASL F-16A tail> The Hasegawa F-16A Dorsal is about 4-5 scale inches too short; something we found when our 48th scale F-16A tail was mastered. I never measured the KASL tail when I had it. Certainly a more accurate F-16A can be made. A corrected/F-16A upper aft fuselage section needs to be done as well

The revamped F-16 Early Light Weight Gear wheels will be coming out mid October, along side the redesigned Block 40 wheels. I sent test shot samples to a friend for a trial run. I already have some few other bit parts lying in wait, along with Early Wing Weapons & 501 (AIM-7) Pylons. We had planned on a 32nd F-16A conversion, though that and other projects will be on hold until we make this transition.

Cheers

Mike V