1/32 F-15I Ra'am (Tamiya+Isracast)

spyrosjzmichos

Looking forward to see this build. There are too few IDF ac built!!! And why dont we have any decent F-15C/D decals for the IDF ac in 1/32????

Thank you!  :)

I'm also following another build on facebook and trying to copy a few of the guy's techniques! 

I never thought about IAF F-15C/D decals but you're right! After a quick check on the web I can't find much! 

But I think you can get OOB decals from the Great Wall Hobby kit although not in 1/32 but 1/48.

Small update today.

Added the crystal HUD on the coaming. I decided to paint only the sides with transparent green rather than the whole part. I think it looks more realistic but I'm open to discussion!

20160920_215857_zpstmbs2o4w.jpg

Need to clean up the edges a bit...

20160920_215901_zpsslqvb7qw.jpg

I decided to detail the rear gun bay area based on a pic shared by Fs are my Favourites! Thanks F!!!

First of, gluing the front shroud. A nasty surprise there...

20160920_215909_zpsk3huifnb.jpg

20160920_215914_zpsf6qqah7r.jpg

Tamiya depicts the gun bay gas vent as a solid mesh on top and a solid square at the bottom. I decided to paint the bottom part to give the illusion of a mesh. I used thin strips of masking tape and followed the top side's grid to form a grid on the bottom.

20160920_223406_zpsemnyjcwe.jpg

20160920_223557_zpsjsmv2opi.jpg

20160920_223601_zps4v6ov3fz.jpg

More detailing to follow!

Maybe a better idea is to scratch-open the vent. Pls let me share a couple of photos of what i did with this door in my model. 

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

And check out the other F-15E builds in the forum. There is a lot of info on how to open the vents and how they should look like after that. Some vents are quite tricky however, it`s easier than masking and painting and it`s more effective too. 

Ok guys! Just a short update for now. Following F's advice and links he sent me I decided to follow his method and hollow out the vents instead of painting them.

I initially scraped the plastic square until it became transparent and I could see the light through the vents.

20160922_180432_zpsrsk6brcq.jpg

After some vigorous sanding I got the desired result! Pretty pleased with it! Thanks F!!!!

20160922_193631_zpsl6omo3pn.jpg

20160922_193634_zpsuypdzqxp.jpg

That`s it man! :) Now it requires just some brushing with a stiff brush. With long hairs should be better if you have one. Or else, try with a toothbrush or with another brush - the harder the better, but soft enough to avoid breaking the grits. The small chips will loosen and the view should become clearer. ;)

PS: the tiny little chips are not for underestimating. They may look noticeable only on a photo, but after priming/painting may become visible.

Edited by F`s are my favs

That`s it man! :) Now it requires just some brushing with a stiff brush. With long hairs should be better if you have one. Or else, try with a toothbrush or with another brush - the harder the better, but soft enough to avoid breaking the grits. The small chips will loosen and the view should become clearer. ;)

PS: the tiny little chips are not for underestimating. They may look noticeable only on a photo, but after priming/painting may become visible.

Thanks F! Glad I followed your advice! I will continue tomorrow to finish it off before painting.

I'll only work on this one, unfortunately, as I already glued the other parts in place, so, doing the same to those is now impossible...  :doh:

Not much of an update so far as work has been quite busy.

I did, however, manage to finish the gun. I decided not to add further detail after opening up the vents apart from some decals from spares to represent placards. Not accurate of course but at least they do make the area look busy.

20160929_221234_zpse9u3egjz.jpg

I also managed to finish loading the pylons with all the weapons.

I gave up on the Isracast Pythons as I had difficulties assembling them and they drove me insane!

At the end, I just used the kit's AIM-9L missiles.

20160929_221258_zps8yartyyq.jpg

20160929_221309_zpsl6ipxx61.jpg

That's all for now! Thanks for checking!  :piliot:

Btw, if I`m not mistaken, I just recalled a comment somewhere with a very trustworthy info about "no air-to-ground with air-to-air payload on one pylon" or something like that, I can`t remember exactly. I.e. there should be only missiles or only bombs mounted on one pylon. ;) And there is a great logic in it. Of course it`s only if the reality is a very important factor to consider. For certainty, here is a link with the possib. loadout configs.

Hi all! Apologies for the late replies. Had a short holiday and managed to travel to Seoul for a few days with my girlfriend.

I also took the opportunity to propose to her after three wonderful years of dating!  ^_^

On a separate note, I also wanted to express my gratitude for your continuous help and advice! It's the first forum I ever joined and the amount of information you all provide is overwhelming! I am forever grateful to all of you!  :bow:

Now, back to business!

:blink:  holly cow this bombs are huge :blink:

Spyros, for the HUD glass you can use Alclad armour glass for tint if you like.

The paint it is so clear and transparent that you need 3 or 4 hands to make the tint...just advice my friend ;)

Thanks Shelby! I deliberately painted only the side of the HUD glass as I think it gives a more realistic look to it.

But looking at the comments and links below I may have to repaint it.

By the way, for the clear green I use Mig Ammo's crystal green which I find pretty good.

GREAT WORK SIR!

where did you get the Python 4 rails? are they the same AIM-9L rails?

Thanks Luca! The pylons are provided by Isracast together with their conversion set. 
The same are provided by Wolfpack's conversion kit.

I decided to use the kit's AIM-9 missiles instead of the Pythons as I nearly went crazy with the resin ones. 

Then again, I wasn't happy with how they turned out so I found some old AIM-9s from Academy's F-18 kit to attach instead.

Very nice. Good show.

Sincerely,
Mark

Thanks Mark!  :lol:

Great work so far! Regarding the HUD glass, I do the same thing- just paint the edges with clear green to give the clear part a sense of being "glass". I honestly would not paint the entire part.

John

Thanks John!  :lol:

Btw, if I`m not mistaken, I just recalled a comment somewhere with a very trustworthy info about "no air-to-ground with air-to-air payload on one pylon" or something like that, I can`t remember exactly. I.e. there should be only missiles or only bombs mounted on one pylon. ;) And there is a great logic in it. Of course it`s only if the reality is a very important factor to consider. For certainty, here is a link with the possib. loadout configs.

Thanks F. I kinda like the combination of the bombs and missiles on each pylon so will use some artistic license here.  ^_^