Kittyhawk F-86D - Texas Air Guard

Zero77

Wow, I am simply amazed.

Do the AK metallic finishes HAVE to go onto a primed surface, or can they go directly onto bare plastic if its smooth enough? Apologies in advance if the question has been asked before.

Also, the idea of using rub-n-buff for the intake throat is genius.

-d-

Thanks a lot guys ! :)

Wow, I am simply amazed.

Do the AK metallic finishes HAVE to go onto a primed surface, or can they go directly onto bare plastic if its smooth enough? Apologies in advance if the question has been asked before.

Also, the idea of using rub-n-buff for the intake throat is genius.

-d-

They can go on bare plastic, and it's even better for the shine if the plastic is perfectly smooth (ie : on plastic spoon, where you can test the paint. On these plastic spoon, the chrome just look like a miror), however, it's better to first coat with primer for paint adhesion. (i know some people had chipping issues when painting AK without priming).

And gloss black base also helps for the reflection.

For small parts i usually dont prime them, but for a whole aircraft i think it's less risky to spray a coat of primer.

I also use Alclad paints, and they are great too, but for hi shine finish i think the AK ones are way stronger than the Alclad polished aluminium or airframe aluminium, though the AK ones are less reflective. For really mirror finishes, Alclads is still at the 1st place, but the model is then so fragile that it's very difficult to handle or place decals. That's why i used the AK paints.

Edited by Zero77

Kev you were the one i was thinking about, as i just re-read your review. :)

I've almost finished the decals. Unfortunately they are not only very soft and hard to place, but they also have a matt finish (a bit like the Revell ones). It's useless, as anyway, on a matt paint modellers usually apply a gloss coat and then a matt coat over all. But on NMF any coat would modify the metallic sheen, so i cannot gloss coat them. Too bad i can live with it (it's not that noticeable at a distance).

Regarding the Stars-n-bars, the decal color was not my taste, so i decided to paint them.

20160910_195942_zpsh3drw6zc.jpg

20160910_232614_zpsukcworgd.jpg

Here is the difference. The blue on the decal dont match the correct dark blue in my opinion :

20160910_232548_zpszzydpkc3.jpg

On the nose, there are small air scoops, but one of them is just under the nice State of Texas emblem, and i thought it would be a problem. So i added a small piece of plastic to make it closed (it is on most pictures anyway... Maybe the other one should be closed, too, but too bad. :) ).

20160911_161155_zpsajayymlq.jpg

20160911_161424_zpsba7xgrmq.jpg

A few pictures with decals on :

20160911_213118_zpslvtsa5uq.jpg

20160911_213146_zpsrfuterwv.jpg

20160912_022220_zpsuyh9g0pp.jpg

20160912_022248_zpspslmvflo.jpg

20160912_022318_zpsjuk8bu34.jpg

I also had problems with the walking area lines. The decals were a PITA to set. So after a day i decided to remove them and paint the line. At the moment i just finished masking it.

20160912_005819_zpsj2zyifcx.jpg

I used some tamiya tape cut to width to keep a constant and parallel width with my masking.

20160912_005829_zpscghkpavy.jpg

20160912_021908_zpsyn3dliwb.jpg