B-17G 'A Bit O' Lace'

Iain

I have a stash of 1/32 kits for a long term project which will be the first proper warbird airshow that I went to, the 1983 Great Warbirds Air Display at West Malling. The HK kit will be the centre piece much as Sally B was at that show. So that means I'll have to build the kit as she was in her "Ginger Rogers/Sally B" phase. Just hope I can master making my own decals by then! 

Regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

Cheers Cees!

Have seen photos somewhere of 'G's on one of the production lines with painted stringers - can't find it now...

Plenty of others in just plain metal.

Just depends on which plant/block number I presume.

Hi Leo,

I wanted to preserve the shape of the original opening so that port and starboard matched perfectly - so carefully cut out the starboard opening allowing an extra 3mm (ish) all round. Cutting was done carefully using a fresh scalpel blade.

Resulting opening was cleaned up and squared off with a flat file.

Once removed I took some 40 thou styrene sheet - taped it around a spray can lid - and poured boiling water on it to impart a curved surface. This was then offered up to the opening and carefully trimmed until it was a nice, tight, fit.

Bottom edge glued first (Cyanoacrylate) and then pushed into the opening further up once the bottom edge had gone off, and bonded using Revell Contacta Professional cement.

Cut out window frame had its edges cleaned up and the new opening carefully marked out. Note that I wasn't careful enough as I mistakenly lined up the internal stringers - before realising I had to raise the opening - hence the styrene filler section at the base. As the frame had a tendency to bow in at the sides I placed the relevant kit window in situ when fitting to ensure the shape was preserved.

After 24 hours the surfaces were dressed off with sanding sticks - no filler at all.

Pretty straightforward in the end - but did take a few hours work. Need to reinstate internal formers and stringers now, as well as some exterior rivetting.

Iain

Cheers Tom!

Also believe internal doors were often removed completely?

Iain

I think in some cases, yes. Battle damage, ease of movement around the aircraft, etc, etc. However, I imagine the Radio Operator and those in the rear fuselage would have had a bit to say if the interior doors behind the bomb bay were removed... a 180+mph, -60 degree slip stream blasting into the fuselage when the bomb doors opened can't have been all that welcome!

Edit - just thought when it comes to the main gear bays, these too were unpainted - another area you regularly see wrongfully depicted in models as 'Interior Green'. The main gear legs on camouflaged aircraft were usually neutral grey from the factory, whereas the natural metal birds had NMF gear legs too, so Bit O'Lace would have aluminium legs. 

Edited by tomprobert

• 1 month later...

OK - progress has been made - wings and tailplane built - just working on interior at present.

Photos tomorrow - but *really* enjoying this one - really is a good kit - and listening to Glenn Miller whilst building is really helping the mood!

I was put off building this after all the debate when the kit was released - it's not without it's quirks - but it's very buildable - and great therapy!

Also have a new (to me) metallic finish that I really like as it's a lot more forgiving than Alclad (for me anyway) - AK's Xtreme Metal. Just had a box of that turn up - so more than enough for 'Bit O'Lace'  :)

Now - do I really go for it for a Telford finish...

Iain

Iain.

Some other books for reference,

Combat Profile B17G Roger Freeman , Ian Allan published

B17 Flying Fortress H P Wilmott.

Mighty Eight Roger Freeman

The first one is very good, did the Monogram 17 probably 30 years ago, so collected them then......

Guest Peterpools

Iain. 

Glad you are making progress and enjoying the Fortress and makir Progress sound. Looking forward to the next round of update photos 

Keep "em coming

Peter :popcorn:

OK - bit of an update...

These are the AK Xtreme Metal paints - really like them - and probably my weapon of choice for final finish:

IMG_8218_zpslohuqnxa.jpg

Whilst I crack on with detailing and tweaks I've also been assembling and prepping some of the other components ready for final airframe assembly - here the tailplane, elevators, rudder and ailerons:

IMG_8217_zpsw2jelcri.jpg

Wasn't happy with the curve/blending of the starboard waist gun position - so some aerosol filler primer, superglue and sanding and we're here - panel lines and rivets to be reinstated after fuselage assembled:

IMG_8216_zps98lu0q7w.jpg

Prepped inside and out - should have swopped sides - have added stringers behind fill panel - but these will be hidden by ammo boxes:

IMG_8215_zpsjabo9ehi.jpg

I mentioned earlier that Bit O'Lace has the wingtip 'Tokyo Tank' vents - clearly seen in photos. Found a nice wartime image looking down on such an installation and came up with this - still needs central 'divider' adding from styrene sheet. Kit vents have been filled with casting resin:

IMG_8214_zpswqcxeg9b.jpg

IMG_8213_zpsg9upzzdh.jpg

And wings have been assembled/prepped - all straightforward:

IMG_8211_zpssbnuvjyf.jpg

Tail interior painted silver - not stressing over pin marks as I don't think you'll see them (yes - mia culpa - I am taking shortcuts with this build - focus will be on final finish):

IMG_8210_zpsvakbouee.jpg

IMG_8209_zpsypbnsozx.jpg

Back in a mo...

Iain