Prepping figures

JRutman

I'm not much for doing figure modeling myself but I've been following this with great interest.  Nice stuff.

Thanks Ron,I appreciate that. Maybe you should try figgies? You may never come back once you are in their evil clutches. Bwaa haahaahaaaaa

That last figure of the woman in a basket is simply awesome. I still want to know how you use the cotton hair from time to time.

Do you simply cut out the molded hair and white glue in some cotton? The SS crew you did at Normandy were some of the best figures I've ever seen. I'm trying to enhance a few pilot figures I'm working as a result of your inspiration Jerry.

Please teach us mortals the ways. Ha! Love this post.

Can you also show us a plan for all the figures sometimes? This will be a show piece for sure.

Troy

Harv and Jim,thanks so much for the kudos guys. Means a lot to me.

Troy,I usually leave the stock hair on the fig but I lightly score it with a sharp blade to get some linear texture going. I then just accent the hair with a wisp of cotton that has been pre-painted and dried. Placement is key.

I have done some figs in the past with a whole lot more cotton as the scene called for that. Like the surrendering WSS guys in Normandy. The pic of them was taken on a windy day and they had long hair so....I had to show long hair getting blown around,a distant memory for myself ! LoL

Troy,this shows the placement of nearly all of the figs done so far I think?

JIMG_1196_zpsp91m0iaq.jpg

Edited by JRutman

Wow, this is shaping up to be another epic venture Jerry. Thanks for the advise and thanks for the picture. This looks really interesting.

I'm working on six MasterBox famous pilots of WWII. Practice makes perfect I guess. I'm painting one by one and hope to gain some skill sets along the way. The main figure I'm trying to do right will be Lidia Litviak which I'd like to add to my Yak-1B eventually. The hair will be tough to get right. She has no head gear on and she has somewhat curly blonde hair to set right.

Wow, this is shaping up to be another epic venture Jerry. Thanks for the advise and thanks for the picture. This looks really interesting.

I'm working on six MasterBox famous pilots of WWII. Practice makes perfect I guess. I'm painting one by one and hope to gain some skill sets along the way. The main figure I'm trying to do right will be Lidia Litviak which I'd like to add to my Yak-1B eventually. The hair will be tough to get right. She has no head gear on and she has somewhat curly blonde hair to set right.

I have found after the prep work on the figures' hair is done that for blond hair the best thing is to start with a base coat of yellow ocher and then add darker shadows,followed by highlights using more whitish yellow. Best thing is to get a modern color pic and use that for color ref.,something I usually forget to do myself.

J