A tale of two cities, from Lancaster to Manchester

Cees Broere

• 1 month later...

The bombbay doors have now been cleaned up. As you can see in the pics these are really stitched together from several parts so needed quite a bit of filler and sanding. But they are smooth now. I can now concentrate on the ailerons as they had to be taken off after the rigourous sanding needed on the wings. But that work has been finished and as posted earlier the panellines are now being pencilled in. At Telford I will be working on the Manchester too so come to the LSM/HK Models stand and say hello.

Manchester1_zpsiekqd8nf.jpg

Manchester2_zpssdicojfx.jpg

Wow! Amazing attention to detail! Great job so far mate!

Cheers

Alan

I am actually really looking forward to buying and building the big Lancaster. My Gradmother had a boyfriend back in the 1970's (after our Grandfather passed away) who flew the Lancasters in the war. The stories he told us were captivating! Sadly, for him post war meant no more flying because for him he associated flying with the death of colleagues and people in the target zones. He never flew again after he left the service. He told me that if I was to ever become a pilot I would have the priviledge of knowing flying as something enjoyable and peaceful. I was too young to remember where he was based and with what squadrons - I wish I could go back and ask hime about it all again!

• 1 month later...

Wow! Amazing attention to detail! Great job so far mate!

Cheers

Alan

I am actually really looking forward to buying and building the big Lancaster. My Gradmother had a boyfriend back in the 1970's (after our Grandfather passed away) who flew the Lancasters in the war. The stories he told us were captivating! Sadly, for him post war meant no more flying because for him he associated flying with the death of colleagues and people in the target zones. He never flew again after he left the service. He told me that if I was to ever become a pilot I would have the priviledge of knowing flying as something enjoyable and peaceful. I was too young to remember where he was based and with what squadrons - I wish I could go back and ask hime about it all again!

If he was in the RAF, I believe they have a site dedicated to all the aircrew who flew in WWII. I forget where it is on the net, but they had listed where they were based or lost etc.

Great work. :)

• 3 months later...

image_zps7apb3f8p.jpeg

Hi Cees,

Something makes me think that the Nav Table is too far forward!

Reason for my thinking is that on the Lancaster, I believe that the Navigator could use a curtain, to separate himself from the Pilot, so that he would not be disturbed by any external light, with the curtain hanging from the fuselage coaming behind the pilots seat!

Therefore, with the Lancaster being heavily based upon the Manchester, is it safe to assume that the internal fittings would be similarly positioned?

I'm not 100% certain of this fact, it's just a nagging doubt and either way, doesn't distract from the excellence of the topic or your your build :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony C

Tony,

Thanks for the heads up, according to my references it's close. The cockpit is not

intended to be the most accurate of all Lanc/Manchester models. As long as it fill up

the void nicely I'm happy. The pilot's seat will hide most of it. To the side of the

table there will be a panel which holds the parachute stowage and Bubble sextant.

I have a false floor lined up that can be used to model the seat and all other parts

thereon. so that as soon as the basic cockpit has been detailed the cockpit section

can be closed and fitted to the rest of the fuselage. That will speed up the

build. And the seat can be fitted afterwards.

Cees

• 1 month later...

It's been a while with this project, but work has resumed with a vengeance and the wings have been scribed. After that I could start on the engine nacelles. Using as much as the Lancaster as possible (and in reverse order compared to the
conversion of the real Manchester into the Lancaster) I cut off the rear end which was incorrect anyway. After cleaning up the center parts these were glued firmly in place in the wings. The rear end was made to fit without the part which is fitted on the flap itself and slides into the rear of the nacelle. A good fit was achieved. And the windows for the front fuselage were made from a discarded cd-case.

image_zpsoqxky0fo.jpeg

image_zpshyxkhmdj.jpeg

image_zps8pptql7i.jpeg

image_zps1jlgzzb2.jpeg