1/35 Academy AH-1W cobra nts

zak

• 2 weeks later...

OK finally got it buttoned up, kit is now 90% milliput. I reduced the fuselage height by around 4mm, which isn't really noticeable but seems more accurate to my eye anyway. Slapped together some bits from the spares box to fill the void that was there before, not at all accurate but won't be that noticeable.

DSC_0478.jpg

Drilled out a hole to accommodate the alq, I'll be using fireball models 1/32 one which is lovely and fortunately an acceptable size for 1/35. Added doghouse access panels and scribed in locks, they should be almost flush to the doghouse so may change at somepoint

DSC_0474.jpg

More milliput work on the exhaust vent thing, going to be fun sanding that when it's dry....

DSC_0473.jpg

Cut out the turret and thinned to an inch of its life

DSC_0477.jpg

Bit more eduard PE

DSC_0475.jpg

Made a boom access panel from brass as it's slightly raised on the real deal, just tacked on to check size

DSC_0472.jpg

Cheers folks!

Hey chaps.

Re-made brass access panels to replace the plastic card ones I'd made previously

DSC_0481.jpg

Filed in curved notches on the boom panel, tiny attachment hooks fit within the gaps which I'll make out of brass and attach when I'm closer to painting stage

DSC_0486.jpg

Continued work on the vent, not convinced this is entirely accurate but I've very little reference material to work from. Good enough for me anyhow

DSC_0488.jpg

Scribed numerous missing panel lines and begun general reshaping of the tail

DSC_0487.jpg

This is in need of some serious reshaping to match the real deal, quite a few complex curves which I may not be able to create....

DSC_0485.jpg

Gonna have to strip back the layers of Mr. Surfacer aswell shortly due to the panel lines getting a little clogged from spraying and checking for errors. Thanks for looking people!

Zak

Edited by zak

Another update, man I'm enjoying my time off! I've got a pretty full schedule as of next month so I'm hoping to get the bulk of the work done in the next few weeks.

Focusing on the belly details. Im using a mixture of eduards PE and scratched stuff here. Eduard calls for this piece of etch to have the raised bumps convex but on looking at refs, they are concave.

(it's the panel directly behind the search light)

ah-1w_08_of_24.jpg

The PE is also too large so it was cut and the concave detail added from the other side, contrary to eduards instructions.

DSC_0499.jpg

Next plastic was cut away from the belly to fit the PE section, necessary so the concave detail can sit inside it. Also Drilled out the two cooling vents (think that's what they are?) and added brass mesh then drilled an opening for the search light.

DSC_0493.jpg

Test fitting (photo was taken before I cut the PE to the correct length)

DSC_0494.jpg

Made the oil cooler fan, still needs tidying up

DSC_0501.jpg

Test fit. Also made something with milliput, don't know what it is but I made it!

DSC_0496.jpg

Added brass panel to the 'thing' (if someone wants to chime in with what it is that'd be cool ðŸ˜)

DSC_0500.jpg

Made another thing (seriously, someone chime in here!!!). Just the rough shape at the minute, it'll be removed and sanded when dry.

DSC_0498.jpg

Scratched the exhaust housing aerial

DSC_0503.jpg

Scratched the nose radar dome, thing. This protrudes from a hole in the nose on the real deal so I Drilled a hole which is slightly larger than the dome itself, looks much better than if I'd just stuck it on

DSC_0497.jpg

Another missing panel added (keep finding 'em.....)

DSC_0505.jpg

Added tiny piano hinge decal from archers, handy to have a sheet of these around....

DSC_0489.jpg

Finally, test fit the nts unit and cannon faring just to check overall profile shape. Looks a lot better than the standard kit if I don't say so myself!

DSC_0502.jpg

Cheers for looking, more soon

Zak