F-16XL new kit in 1/32? Need input.

paul fisher

If it's one thing I learned from "forum polling" is that it's quite inaccurate. I could be wrong too, but then again no new subject, no matter how much it is requested, can be guaranteed a success in overall sales, as Trumpeter found out with the 48th Vigilante.

Mike V

I think thats a pretty fair assessment. One really never knows how well any one subject might do until its actully produced. If it is produced, I hope Paul sells a BUT-TON of them! 

Sorry, Paul, not for me. If you go ahead, I wish you every success with the kit and it sell like hotcakes!

My British exotic request:

Fairey Barracuda, the perfect odd-ball torpedo bomber.  Reminds me of something a character in Dick Tracy or Blackhawk would fly.

Cheers,

D.B.

If it's one thing I learned from "forum polling" is that it's quite inaccurate. I could be wrong too, but then again no new subject, no matter how much it is requested, can be guaranteed a success in overall sales, as Trumpeter found out with the 48th Vigilante  

Mike V

Mike, that may well be true for selling accessories at a once-a-year show inbetween an almost empty website. This is a big resin kit, with huge investment by Fisher, so he needs to be far more cautious.

Actually, what I'd really like to see is a correction set for the Trumpeter A-7D/E and allied conversion for an A-7A/B. And Hunter bits.

Tony

Tony I get you stab at me "once in a year sales" seeing how you're an expert in what goes into a small resin businees, but the point is this:

It's true for kits and resin accesories. I've seen and experienced it. I know Raymond of Kinetic was skeptical about the sales of a 48th F-16XL and turns out to be one of his best selling kits to date and I was fortunate to be a part of the developement.

Granted 32nd is a bigger risk, but it is for any 32nd limited run subject. You can no more predict what the overall sales are going to be for this subject from a hanful of post in one modeling forum.

Mike V

I would say no for several reasons. Limited market for both the subject and the price. Only 2 were ever built, so very limited marking schemes, all of the experimental/NASA variety. Plus, there are so many "real" planes that could be done that I believe would be more popular and well received. I find it hard to believe that the F-11F Tiger would be less popular than the XL. Did the Panther and Cougar kits not sell well? How about the F4D? Those are all of the same era, and the Tiger having flown with the Blue Angels is a definite attraction. I would love to see someone do a Super Mystere to help fill in the French and Israeli war flown lineup. As far as a predictor of future sales, its always a crap shoot, but if not the people on a site like this, then who WOULD be the target audience? This isn't Trumpeter or Tamiya putting out a massed produced kit of another 109 or Mustang that would attract the casual modeler. 

Edited by eoyguy

Tony I get you stab at me "once in a year sales" seeing how you're an expert in what goes into a small resin businees, but the point is this:

It's true for kits and resin accesories. I've seen and experienced it. I know Raymond of Kinetic was skeptical about the sales of a 48th F-16XL and turns out to be one of his best selling kits to date and I was fortunate to be a part of the developement.

Granted 32nd is a bigger risk, but it is for any 32nd limited run subject. You can no more predict what the overall sales are going to be for this subject from a hanful of post in one modeling forum.

Mike V

I have known people in the resin bsiness and know how much hard work it is and how quickly people can get burnt out (and I love the look of your stuff Mike but for us Europeans it might as well be on a market stall on Mars).

You've sold me on the Kinetic kit ! I'm far from averse to 1/48 kits.

As for Zactomodels, I am currently using two "Unsquash your SLUF" correction sets bought several years ago (for early and mid life A-7Es), and these are lovely - but these are currently unavailable and *a lot* of people are clamouring for this set. I'd like another to help do an A-7B but there is no available conversion set for the A/B variants. And clear resin canopy parts would be "easier" if Chris Wilson has decided his set is permanently off the menu.

Tony