F-14D -headaches here we come

Eli Raphael

• 2 weeks later...

After taking care of the massive glueing on several parts and then sandin them, the time comes to start getting into the Aires cockpit. Decided to paint the floors and consoles and pic up the dials. IP will be dealt with as so are the seats at the end of the kit's construction.

IMG_1754_zpsopn2wmxd.jpg

After glueing the pit to the fuselage left side I found that the  kit's refueling probe well was in the way to achieve complete fuselage closure. Out comes my dental handpiece and a trench was made on the resin cockpit side. Fortunatelly is thick enough!

IMG_1756_zpspwrvoclk.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well.........................

Don't know where I made a mistake. 

Finally after a lot of sanding the fwd fuselage was coupled with the rear one.

I really don't know what happened but the front doesn't match the rear part!

Maybe the resin intakes had something to do with it, even though I followed the Zacto instructions to the letter. It seams that the front fuselage was "squeezed" and a big step was created on the lower and upper fwd fuselage matching surfaces making the construction a big headache that I won't be willing to tackle. Big gaps were developed where the intakes go into the fwd fuselage.

I plan to do another one WITHOUT using the resin intakes and wont be using the Aires resin wells. Don't care if doesn't have the correct intake angle, it's just too much hassle!

At this age I'm willing to build something that goes smoothly now that I know where the pitfalls are with this model.

Rest assured that I won't give up. 

Thanks for following my deceased buidl!  :deadhorse:

Edited by Eli Raphael

Guest Peterpools

Eli

Sometimes it's best "to know when to fold them and know when to hold them"

I've followed your path more times then I can remmeber and at my age (nearly 69), enjoying the build and looking at the completed model in the display case is the joy and satidifaction I feel after each build.

Peter